Get well soon John Mc Vie !!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fearceol, Oct 27, 2013.

1. fearceol

fearceol

2. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Best wishes for a full recovery to one of the greats - missed my chance to see them in Dublin last month cos I was revovering from surgery -get well soon John!
  3. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

All the best to him.
  4. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

Just woke up to that most distressing news...

Best Wishes for a swift and full recovery from all of us, John!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EdwardofHuncote

At age 44, and having loved their music since childhood, I finally got to see FM in Charlotte, N.C. this past summer. I purposefully got seats at stage right so I could see John work his magic up close.

I'm one of those guys that would 100 times rather be playing than watching, but what a thrill and inspiration it was to watch John and Mick in action.
  7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I couldn't say that I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan. But John McVie's playing has always been something that I've taken notice of as a bassist, and I respect his musicianship immensely. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
  8. fearceol

fearceol

+1.

I'm not a Fleetwood Mac fan either (well.. maybe in the Peter Green days..), but I think McVie is very under rated as a blues bassist. Often, here on TB you see beginners to blues bass being recommended to listen to certain blues bassists, but McVie is never mentioned. His work on the iconic blues album "Mayall & Clapton" is excellent IMO.
  9. EdwardofHuncote

Although it never got a lot of attention, the "Gotta-band with Lola Thomas" album showcased his blues credentials quite well. I think it was just under-appreciated in the 90's.

Just my observation here, (trying to separate the bassist from the fan) John has always played exactly what he needed to, whether playing gritty blues or glitzy pop... it's hard to imagine what those songs sound like with alternate bass lines.

Cancer is a hard row to hoe for anyone, but I'm guessing he wouldn't have been around this long if he wasn't a pretty tough guy. I hope he'll be allright.
  10. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Big Green/Kirwan era FM fan. I'm pulling for you John!
  11. woodyng

woodyng

Been a fan since i first heard "Bare Trees", here's wishing the best for John!
  12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Being primarily a blues player, John McVie's playing has been hugely influential on me. I'm hoping he comes right.
  13. EdwardofHuncote

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

15. EdwardofHuncote

16. blue4

blue4

My favorite bassist. Always great tone and always playing exactly what's right for the song.
  17. EdwardofHuncote

18. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Nice to see John coming around to the P Bass after all these years. :)
  19. EdwardofHuncote

Roger that^^ though it seems he's always had one in standby.

I got to check out some of his road gear in Charlotte this past summer. His tech is a really low key guy and obliged me a couple nosy questions before the show... anyway, there's a couple Fender P's, a couple Lakland P's, two Rick Turner basses; an Electroline and Renaissance, and what I believe was a Carvin. Seven basses in all. Some are tuned for songs that have had key changes since original recording... for instance, Silver Spring is in B now, down from C, The Chain is in D down from E, (that would have made the signature bass coda a trick!) and World Turning was in C# for pity's sake!

Most of the show that night was played on a Lakland P with block inlay and some tricked pu's.

Ultimately I'm just glad to see John back onstage. More hopes for a full recovery.:)
  20. EdwardofHuncote