1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Getting a fuller bass sound in a hard rock three-piece

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mikegug, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mikegug

mikegug

I need advise for getting a better/fuller sound for my bass player.

We are bass, guitar (he layers his sound with a looper) and bass.

To make it easier on the venue's sound guy, we like to go direct into the board. Lack of amps increases gas mileage too yada yada yada...

Right now bass simply runs a Ashton Dayne(?) MusicMan Stingray clone through SansAmp w/on board distortion or clean. I need some good suggestions for pedals, I am gueesing(?). Is chorus the obvious choice?

$100 or less please. Our sound is Evanesence (female lead vox) and Skillet.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

You can't afford it but for rock power trio
    Fishman Fission Bass Powerchord

If you have an iphone or ipad look check into some harmonist apps, also chorus, fuzz, ...

Should mention too to look into backing tracks. It's getting to be fairly standard and simple.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Assuming you have a SansAmp Bass Driver, trade it for a ParaDriver so you have some mid control.

Mids = fullness

4. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I think you might need to be looking at the electronics on the MM copy. But since you are running direct to house via a preamp, you should be able to get a good FOH sound. If the complaint is that it's thin sounding onstage, that is more a case of not having adequate monitoring. Or you need an amp onstage.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Evanescence is hard rock? Hmm.

Well, I am the bass player in a hard rock/alt 3 piece ( Rage, Deftones, Tool, Offspring, AIC, Everclear, Chevelle, Foos, Godsmack, etc..)

This is my basic signal path:

Rickenbacker 4001> Pedal board ( TAFM, BF3. Boosta Grande, BOD, G50)> SVT CL> 810 CL.

The flanger is nice for certain parts, mostly clean parts. The TAFM is a vicious bastard and is awesome for menace when overdriving the SVT isn't quite brutal enough ( Think The Clincher by Chevelle) though it can easily be dialed anywhere from mild fuzz to insane. There are numerous threads about "Dirt" pedals here, but a few favorites are the Malleko B:Assmaster, ODB-3, Pickle Pie B, TAFM, etc... Depending on if you want fuzz, overdrive or distortion. I highly suggest whatever you get, get one with a blend knob or separate dirt/clean controls.
    A clean boost is great for when you don't want more dirt, just more volume temporarily.
    An octaver is effective for sounding "Big". If I was doing it again I would have gotten a Pog instead of the Bass Octave Deluxe.

The real fact is though, the trick to filling space as a bass player in a 3 piece is note choice and dynamics. That and a decent PA.

7. Rooster009

Rooster009

A octave pedal really helps and also just a touch of chorus. Don't over do it on the chorus and the Octave pedal should just barely be audible so it sounds natural.

8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Why do you feel a pedal is the answer to this issue?
    A Stingray or Stingray clone is going to be more treble focused by design. Also the SansAmp tends to boost highs. Have you tried different EQ settings cutting some of the highs and boosting the mids and lows?
    If you are having trouble dialing in a good tone maybe a Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ pedal would do the trick.

9. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I think a compressor pedal would do you some good. It can really help a cheaper bass sound more full and even. There's a little bit of a learning curve to effectively using compressors though. It will require a little reading up here on TB but the payoff should be a nice even and full sound.

10. eb3mike

eb3mike

Get yourself one of these

11. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

You talking about the 12-string bass?? I wouldn't think that would be the biggest need.

As for the OP, I would suggest getting two pedals (probably used for his price range) - an EQ pedal and a compressor. Adjust both until it makes you happy, and rock on.

Peace,
    Greg

12. TimmyP

TimmyP

You need a good mixperson, and good subs that are properly placed and EQd.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

upgrade the electronics in your ray copy. an active stingray should have a very full sound.

14. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I play in a 3 pc power trio. A lot depends on your EQ and playing technique as already mentioned.
    I do play through a Sanamp programmable driver with the 3 settings which is enough to get the sounds I need. I also play a combination of 2 cabs....a 15 for the oomph and round low end and a 2x10 for the attack. I generally EQ flat on the amp and roll off highs and lows and boost mids slightly when playing the Bongo. I blend both buckers usually also rather than soloing. Everything comes out nice and full.

From a style perspective, I would suggest varying things up in different parts of the song. Throw in some pops to spice up a line. Use staccato sparingly. Play off/against the kick drum to create some interest. Create some lines counter to the guitar pattern. Play octaves and root-fifths during choruses or bridges that need to stand out. There are lots of ways to fill things in from a technique perspective.

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If you're going direct look at a Pandora. That might help with quite a few sounds as well being lighter than an amp.

If the stage sound is weak an amp will help that.

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

You need more money. Thin money = thin sound.

17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You still haven't answered whether the fuller sound is for on stage or out front. It shouldn't be a problem out front.

You guys aren't using amps, so, unless you have very high quality monitors that can do justice to a bass, or an IEM system, your stage sound is going to be weak and thin. There's no pedal gonna fix that.

18. eb3mike

eb3mike

IT's a 15 string.

19. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

+1.

SansAmps are made to model after Ampeg SVTs which have a mid-scooped sound. The SansAmp ParaDriver has a sweepable parametric mid control so it gives you more control over the mids.

Compression will also make you sound fuller but the SansAmp products will do some natural compression if you bring the Drive control up some.

TB'er bongomania has amazing FAQs and reviews on various compressors.

http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

20. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
  21. Sheffield

Sheffield

Ditch the Sansamp. Behold: your sound is now fuller.