1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Getting a jazzy bass tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MaddMann274, Dec 13, 2012.

1. MaddMann274

MaddMann274

I record my bass tracks directly using an interface, and I want to get a jazzy bass tone. I can get a nice jazz tone on my amp by boosting the bass and mids and cutting down treble.
    What amp sims or impulses should I use to achieve this? :D
  2. t77mackie

t77mackie

:confused:

Could you give an example of the tone you're looking for.

When I think of 'Jazzy tone' I think of Jaco which means a J-bass with the bridge pup straight in & your right hand close to the bridge should do the trick. No need to re-invent the wheel using a ton of extra junk.
  3. backup

backup

yes different people have different understanding of "jazzy tone"
    jaco to me is never jazzy. never ever. to me jazzy means something in between reggae and motown. ie deep lows with a special mid presence that makes the bass soudn a little like upright
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    When I think jazzy tone I think of Marcus Miller or Scott Ambush.
  5. MaddMann274

MaddMann274

Something like this...