Getting a new amp. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tranquilthumbs, Jan 12, 2014.

1. tranquilthumbs

tranquilthumbs

I play bass for two bands. One being an aggressive crust/dbeat/punk band and the other being catchy/hard to describe punk. My power amp blew in Boston this last summer and I am in need of a new amp. I have never had nice gear when it comes to amps but it got the job done. I play a '77 Rickenbacker out of a Peavy 400 Mark III and a Sunn sa10 power amp with an Ampeg 8x10. The power amp in the peavy blew so I used the Sunn and now thats gone as well. After 14 years of playing I am finally trying to get something nice with a lot of power. I love the tone of the Ampeg SVT Classics but have no where near that amount of money so I have been looking in to the Gallien Krueger 700 RB-II. Would this be a good amp and give me all the power that I need and does anyone have other suggestions of something I could look into?
  2. tranquilthumbs

tranquilthumbs

I have also had a few friends recommend the use of a sansamp. If I were using the 700 rb-II would there be any need for a sansamp?
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi and welcome to TB. Well, the G-K and Ampeg are completely two different sounding amps, so if you really like the Ampeg SVT Classic I highly recommend waiting and saving up the coin for one.

Cheers,
    Joe
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No, not really - the Samsamp is okay, but its not an SVT Classic.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Not saying the GK will match the sound of the SVT either, but it's definitely powerful and back in the day I used it plenty for "aggressive" (loud!!!) live setups and loved it, still do.

It has a built in direct out but not 100% following your sansamp question, no expert just responding because I think you will be happy with the RB700 in the band style youre aiming at.
  7. tranquilthumbs

tranquilthumbs

What is the main difference between the tone of the two amps? I also recently played a friends Mesa Boogie 400+ and really enjoyed the tone but I didn't have a chance to mess with it much since it was only for one performance.

As for the sans amp, I am thinking of one more for the tube type of sound rather than the DI option. I just want something that has the ability to get very loud without breaking up too much and is bright and clear but can still enhance the growl that comes with my Rickenbacker
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, I'm not good at describing sound in words - you really need to listen to the two through the same cabinet for yourself (both amps sound nice, but different) - and as for the Samsamp - its not going to what your hoping/thinking - so just save up your coin and get a real SVT Classic.
  9. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

I'll have a tough time wording out the distinctions between the sounds of Ampeg and GK, I'm sure there are plenty of people on TB that can offer that. Do you have a music store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center near by? That might be the best thing to do and you can hear them side by side.

GK are noted for clarity and a if set right can give a certain modern sounding growl, the 700RB is solidstate not tube though. They have plenty of EQ controls for you to dial in what "clear and bright" that you have in mind.