1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Getting a new bass, is there any issues I should look out for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SeanNeedham, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

How do!

I'm off to pick up a new bass this afternoon (first time in nearly 15 years) as the music shop in town have just had a delivery of some Squier VM Jazz (60's pattern), and was wondering if there's any little quirks that I should be wary of when checking them out above the usual quality of construction, hardware fit, odd natured rattles and clanks?

It's been a while since I've done this, and I'm just a bit rusty; so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I suggest picking up, holding, playing, etc, a couple of these instruments in the shop if you can. If you pay attention, you'll start to notice differences between them. Weight, feel, finish, etc. At some point, one of the instruments will simply feel like the best of the lot... for whatever reason. Enjoy!

3. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Thanks, Slowgypsy! I've taken the afternoon off (apart from emergency call out) and am planning on spending quite a bit of time in the shop just playing on each one. I tripped myself up a long time back when it came to not trying and just buying... Not planning on doing that again!