Getting a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bleach, Mar 13, 2014.

1. bleach

bleach

Hey new member here just signed up, well I need some help I'm 18 years old and been playing an Ibanez gio sound gear bass for about 4 years now through a 60w Jansen amp, now that Im making money for once, i need a new bass, I live in a small town in NZ and we only have a small music store so we dont have much choice of testing basses, so im probably ganna order online. I play with a pick and we play punk rock stuff, my influences are Krist novaselic, Mark Hoppus and Mike Dirnt. I was thinking a fender precision bass as most people i admire play one but theres so many different kinds and im a total noob at gear, and dont wanna spend heaps of $ of something i wont like, so please give me a good recommendation. Im a noob sorry lol

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Hi and welcome I would recommend a used Mark Hoppus bass the pickups are hot and really work well for punk.

3. bleach

bleach

hey yeah I heard good things about the mark hoppus signature bass, theres a few used on ebay pretty cheap $700NZ but I dont know how I feel about signature basses I dont want anyone thinking im trying to copy or rip off the artist lol but nah i like the look of it thanks

4. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I've been punk'en out since the early 80's and I have found a bass that is just an all around solid unit, great electronics, body, frets, and to add to the electronic the most power packed pup's I have used. The one person builder, player is the only employee and shows great customer service. Save a little more cash and get s bass you may think is a keeper Gamma. You can find them here or on FB. You can contact Joe Milstien on this board..Good Luck w what you choose:thumbup:

7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Get any P bass and drop a seymour duncan quarter pounder in it, look around for used basses and grab one to mod. I have a Fender Mike Dirnt for sale and am not afraid to ship to Australia , just in case:)

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If you're used to a narrow Ibanez neck, you might want to consider something with a Jazz-sized neck. Add in that you want to play more aggressive music and are looking for some kind of P-bass, then I usually recommend a Fender Blacktop Jazz. Basically, it's a Mexican-made Jazz bass with a pair of split-coil P-pickups. This makes it an incredibly ballsy instrument that shouldn't cost a fortune.

When I get home and can access my bookmarks (I'm using my phone right now), I'll post a sound clip made by a fellow TB'er, unless you want to do a search here for "blacktop jazz sound clip audiomitch". That might find it.

9. bleach

bleach

went into my local music store today and they had a fender squire affinity p bass for $400NZ, how are they? are they just a cheaper not as good version of a p bass?

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Affinity is the least expensive of all the Squier guitars and basses. It's not to say they're no good though. Some people have found ones that are pretty darn good. I had an Affinity Jazz that was exactly that. The only issue I had was that the tuners were the older, crappier closed-box gear tuners.

So depending on the models, Affinities are the cheapest, Vintage Modifieds are in the middle and Classic Vibes are the most expensive. Squier also makes Artist and Deluxe models which vary from the middle to most expensive. I'm being general, but hopefully this answers your question, along with some other possible future questions.

Oh, before I forget…I promised to post that Blacktop Jazz sound clip. It's being played with a pick, so that does change the sound a bit, but it's still a damn good representation of what it's capable of.

https://app.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix