Getting a new cab and I need your opinions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Mar 2, 2014.

?

Which company of amplification should I buy from?

1. Markbass

42 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. GK

53 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Genz Benz

30 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. TC Electronic

15 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Aguilar

46 vote(s)
    23.0%
  6. Carvin

14 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I got my tax return back and I'm looking to upgrade my current (horrible) custom cabinet. I'm looking for something that is designed for clarity, has plenty of punch, and of course great room filling bottom end. If I can't find this wonderful cabinet to produce all of this, I would just be happy to know which amplification that YOU know of that has either clarity, punch and unforgiving low end.

I love to play with my mid range boosted to the max. However, that's mostly because my current cab cannot handle pushing out the lows and cannot get loud enough with just the lows boosted. Still though, the mid range has become my favorite because it cuts through the guitars and it gives me incredible punch.

Here are some of the choices I'm looking at.

Markbass 4x10
    I played this thing in GC and I noticed how much low end it was producing. It seemed to lack mid range control, am I wrong on this one? Would this be the best choice for low end?

Gallien-Krueger Neo 4x10
    I've also played this, and it is full pf punch.

Aguilar GS 4x10
    I have no heard or played this thing. Can anyone give me any details on it? It seems like all of the bassists who endorse these use tons of treble. Is that just the cab?

Carvin PRO
    I have heard these and they sound so beautiful. Any information that you guys could give me on these?

Genz Benz Focus series 4x10
    I watched a video on "the bass whisperer" and this thing has TONS of low end.

Thanks guys for helping me decide!
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Of the choices you gave Mark Bass or Aguilar, but I'll recommend Bag End's Q10BX-D or the Q10B-D. You pick up some weight but you'll not have a low freq problem.

The "X" has their coaxial high driver. Far smother than a tradition bullet tweeter. In fact, they don't even have to put a volume control on it.

(See above for full disclosure)
  3. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

The GK 4x10 definitely has punch, I thought it was clear, and it has bottom end for days. I can't comment on the others but I would try to test out a Carvin if you're interested in one. They seem to make good quality products for the price.
  4. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

You have my attention considering you said that is has tons of low end, punchy mid range and clarity. I thought so too when I played one. I was thinking about starting with This to give it a try and add to my current rig to see how much bottom end it can give out. Then from there I'd upgrade to two 2x10. Opinions on this cab?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Harlan

Harlan

I wish they had Ashdown as an option. That would be my pick.
  7. Nivek91

Nivek91 Supporting Member

SWR Would be my choice, but GK is definitely a close second.
  8. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

GK... always sounds great, as reliable as anything, excellent customer service. Good company... Mr G is a hands-on dude, knows his product.
  9. Count Bassie

I use SWR byt the way, but they're gone, apparently. Now if you were looking for used? SWR. Very underrated in some circles, very well engineered stuff, sounds great.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If your looking for low end you might not want to go with MarkBass, their cabs are all voiced with a low mid bump. I liked my MarkBass cabs but I do not recommend them for everybody, their heads however are quite flat. You can get them used for cheap though, I cannot even give mine away for $500 locally...
  11. Count Bassie

I misread... I thought this was for heads! Sorry- not using an SWR cab, but their older heads... carry on!
  12. dls119

dls119

While I do not use Aguilar cabs, I do LOVE them.
  13. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

I tried an Aguilar at the Guitar Center by me...didn't really like it so much, especially compared with the Neo 410 they had next to it.
  14. og61pbass

og61pbass

GK is Great,thats what I have,might want to look at Avatar too,they are great for the price too...:D
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't believe Bergantino isn't on your list. A CN212 would compete well with any of the 410s you listed and weigh less than half as much as some.
  16. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    I have a GK 410, very punchy- strong & clear
    like the Aggie 410
    getting a Berg 212
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

And a fEARful 15/6/1 would give you tons of booty. :ninja:

What is your custom cab like? :eyebrow:
  18. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Supporting Member

I play Bergantino AE 212 with a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and my home practice rig and I use a the Markbass CMD 151P Jeff Berlin Signature 300W 1x15 live at the church. I am selling my Berg cab and I just traded my Genz Benz's for a Markbass Big Bang. For me Markbass just stands out when playing live.
  19. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

You might want to head over to the Gallien Krueger Official Forum if you're interested in GK.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gallien-kreuger-official-club-pt-12-a-1056655/

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the GK 4x10 is the GK cab tuned to have the most low end. (Speaker size isn't relative to bottom end output.) I'm sure it's a decent 15", but I would only add it to your rig if your other cabinet is a 15" and even then they may not voice well together. Also, two 2x10's won't necessarily be the same as a 4x10 cabinet (if we're still talking about the cabinets on your above-mentioned list).
  20. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If you are using a GK head then get the GK hands down. They seem to match best to GK heads.
  21. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    GK all the way is my vote. They make great products and they function very good. I myself use the 1001rb and Neo 410. Loud and powerful, punchy, tons of low end, very clear and articulate, really an ideal rig for almost anything short of an arena show IMO. If you dont need that much power, go with the 700rb. Hard to go wrong either way. IMO.