1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Getting a new Roscoe and I have a question.

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by J2Kbass, Jan 8, 2013.

1. J2Kbass

J2Kbass Gold Supporting Member

Hey Everyone,

I've put money down towards a new custom Roscoe and I am unsure of which pickup configuration to go with.

I have played many Roscoes with the soapbars and they sound good to me but I am really interested in getting my hands on one with Jazz pickups(60's placement). I played for years using a bass with bart soaps and the last 6 months I've been using basses with Jazz pickups which I have LOVED.

Bass Central( where I've placed my order) unfortunately doesn't have a roscoe with the jazz configuration.

Any thoughts/ideas(of where to play one)/opinions would be greatly appreciated?
  2. J2Kbass

My apologies, I didn't see the plethora of recent topics designated to jazz pickups.

Well- if anyone still wants to comment feel free.
  3. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Are you getting another six? If so, it would be really cool to have the first Roscoe six-string JM. Then you would have the best of both worlds.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Everything that Roscoe is putting out these days is just killing it!

That said, if you're interested in the JJ config, the guys in Greensboro have been putting a dash of something special in those....This one is mine, if you're interested in how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQN92tW7nA
  5. J2Kbass

I Iove six strings but this is going to be a fiver. I want something that's easier on the hands. It's going to have a shorter scale and smaller string spacing.
  6. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Since you are getting a five then I really recommend the JM. I absolutely love mine. It goes from modern to classic really well.

Supposedly, the JM in single coil mode sounds very similar to the JJ. But, then you also have the humbucker mode for a more modern sound (which sounds nothing like a Bart soap FWIW). The only way I would sell my JM is to get another JM.
  7. J2Kbass

That's a great clip and has the sound I was curious about. I've got a question for you-

I've been playing a fender jazz and I'm very used to the spacing between the fretboard and neck pickup. How do you find the spacing between the neck pickup and fretboard when it comes to slapping? Does it feel comfortable/normal or tight?

Thanks for your input.
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Feels normal to me, to me honest. My slapping technique tends to be pretty controlled, but I find PLENTY of room.
  9. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

It's fine for me too. I find that I rest my thumb more on the MM pickup though. Slap is a non-issue.
  10. J2Kbass

Thanks for the input!
  11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nice, Jon. I wish I could have about 3-4 Roscoe pickup placements...

the "classic" CB - on order :hyper: - here's the top that will have a BEM board:

[​IMG]

the special "JB" placement on my fretless:

[​IMG]

the recent J/MM - i like this one a lot:

[​IMG]

the 60's JJ (need one again - or maybe the J/MM is close enough)

All Century Standard Plus 5's for me.

Sorry for the derail...common to Roscoe threads...
  12. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

I love that holly JM. I'm still thinking about a six with that wood combo.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I am so tempted to call Bass Specialties (wish my friend Greg had it) and get it. My wife loves the Holly, I like the J/MM pups. Win/Win. :hyper::help:
  14. JOME77

JOME77

What pickup configuration did you decide on Keith?
  15. J2Kbass

I haven't decided yet Joe. I know I'd rather have the sound of a jazz pickup but between jj, jmm, and all variations of their placement I'm really not sure yet. I'm playing in Atlanta tomorrow and was hoping to check some roscoes out at Atlanta bass but they don't seem to have any.