Getting an affordable Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dllive, Mar 25, 2014.

1. dllive

dllive

Hi guys,
    I want to get that classic 8x10 Ampeg sound. However, I dont have the budget or muscle to drag such a massive cab around.

I see Ampeg do a 'micro' cab and amp. But I dont think this would do for live gigs or rehearsals. At the moment I have a 200watt amp, so I might not notice much difference(?)

So Im thinking about buying a 4x10 Ampeg cab. Theres one (500watt!) on ebay for £400. Would this be good for live gigs? What (affordable) ampeg amp would go with this?
    Thanks

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Depends on the 410, they are not all created equal.

3. dllive

dllive

4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The classic ampeg 810 sound comes from the speakers they use in a sealed cabinet. The 410HLF is a ported cabinet if I remember correctly, so it'll have a different response.

What do you class as affordable? I've seen a few SVT-II's going cheap recently (as well as a really cheap SVT300, which is the 300 watt power section of those SVTs, throw a good preamp on there and you'd be set!). Saw an SVT 2 Pro going for ~500 quid too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dllive

dllive

I suppose for me, 'affordable' means £1k for both the cab and amp. I want to get a really beefy vintage funk tone without slepping massive cabs around. I think Im zoning in on Ampeg stuff. Do you think £1k for a second hand (or new?) Ampeg amp and cab is feasible?
    Thanks

7. andrklet

andrklet Guest

If you look around here on TB you´ll soon see lots of people praising one of Ampegs PF heads and two of their SVT210AV cabs stacked vertically, as a SVT+810 "light". Ive got the PF350 with one cab, wich is fine for sensible reahersal levels with guitar and drums. Will be getting a second cab (soon I hope), wich should be good for anyting but bigger gigs.

8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would pass. Not like the 810 at all. That is actually my least favorite cab ampeg makes.

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Get a couple of the 210AV cabs to create a modular 4x10. I have one of the 210AVs and it sounds great. If I remember correctly, and I rarely do, the speakers are the same or similar to whats in the 8x10s.

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Also, check out the PF series as noted. Great little amps through the right cabs. I would personally go for the 5 or 800 myself for powers sake. I played the pf500 through an ampeg 410hlf in GC one day, it ended up sitting there for about an hour before I knew it, just twiddling, that how great it sounded to my ears. It may put you over the 1K mark a tad, but it would be worth it IMO.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

+1 to what jgroh and andrklet say on 2-210AVs. You could nab either a PF350 or PF500 to go with. The 210s run about $299 each US. Two stacked vertically sounds great!

12. inri222

inri222

PF500 & SVT 410HE

13. dllive

dllive

Great - thanks guys, some really useful comments there. I hadnt even thought of stacking 2 2x10s!

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

JimmyM, who is the resident authority here on all things Ampeg, has run 2-210AVs with his SVT head on occasion.

15. andrklet

andrklet Guest

16. andrklet

andrklet Guest

And the small and afordable PF350 ;)

17. johnpbass

johnpbass

Right you are!
    I really like the PF350. Great Ampeg tone, simple but effective EQ setup, plenty of power for the stuff I do. Sounds great with the 210AV.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes I have, and most of the time now I use a new V4B, but while I love the sound, I will admit that the cabs aren't the most heavy duty of cabs, and if going very very loud is necessary, I'd do the 410he.

I'd also suggest one of the PF heads...probably the PF500 since you're on a bit of a budget.

19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

My SVT-II (used) cost £500 and I picked up a Marshall VBC810(also used) for about £300 (which is in the same ballpark as the Ampeg 810), though I've seen the Ampeg fridges occasionally going in the same region. Granted, this was about 7-8 years ago, but the used prices don't seem to have changed much.

It's certainly possible, just keep an eye on the used market :)

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

I suppose another option might be the new 212AV cab. IIRC, they are described as being a smaller cab alternative to an 810, but with a tone profile that's fairly close.
    Not sure how that factors into your budget though dllive.