1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Getting an electronic popping & slight "phasing" sound with new strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dagrev, Dec 27, 2012.

1. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

First off, I'm not hitting the poles with the strings. Just put some new D'addario EXP coated RWs and I'm getting an electronic popping and kind of "phasing" (not really hum) sound similar to a Jazz type PU when you move around. I'm not hitting the poles with the strings. It pops when my finger touches a pole.

I'm playing a 1964 Pbass but the PUs are from 1967. Never had this problem before. Had DAs RWs on it before (not coated) and had no problem. Also had a lot of other strings and this has not been a problem.

Any ideas as to what is happening? Weird mix of metals in the strings reacting to the electronics or something?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

I know D'Addario EXP are supposed to be conductive strings even though they are coated, but you might want to make sure. Sounds like you're not making ground.
  3. dmusic148

dmusic148

String through? That would prevent the ball ends from touching ground. I believe you'll find that if you string them top-load style the problem goes away.
  4. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

The ground is something I agree with--but it seems odd that it's just those strings.

I can't string through the body on a '64 Pbass. Not and be sane anyway. But this would be a good option on so configured basses.

I'm wondering if one of the split PUs needs to be turned around to be humbucking? But it seems this wold be noticeable on more than this set of strings.
  5. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

First off, check that the bridge and pickup magnets are grounded. Either of the two or neither of them are grounded. That'll fix the popping. As for the phasing, unwind the strings and straighten them - you might have twisted the string while restringing which sometimes produces that kind of phasing sound.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

I'll give the PU a look later tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
  7. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Everything seems connected properly. I took the bridge off and the ground wire was likely not making much contact with the bridge due to being flattened into the pain and the buildup of age on the bridge. I cleaned the wire and bridge and located it so it would make better contact, but this didn't help. I thought that might do it.

I not sure what else it could be.
  8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Everything seems connected properly. I took the bridge off and the ground wire was likely not making much contact with the bridge due to being flattened into the pain and the buildup of age on the bridge. I cleaned the wire and bridge and located it so it would make better contact, but this didn't help. I thought that might do it.

I'm not sure what else it could be.
  9. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Your bass is faulty, I'll buy it off you cheap :)
  10. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Well, I would just give it you but the shipping is more than the faulty bass is probably worth. ;)