Getting back in to bass, looking for a new solo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by glowinghamster4, Jan 26, 2014.

1. glowinghamster4

glowinghamster4

Hello all!

I've noodled around for years now, but between work and school bass has unfortunately had to take a back seat for a while. Unexpectedly, I suddenly had an opportunity to start playing with this new band, so I've been scrambling for weeks to get my chops back into shape. I'd really like a specific song to work on, slap, or whatever, just to help keep the motivation to improve myself. Example, I spent a while getting "the awakening (reddings/claypool)" down, and thinking something along those lines. Anyone here have any favorites to recommend? :help:
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Not trying to bust your chops, but, when you join a band you play the songs the band plays. I know this is a new band and may not have a gig book yet, but, instead of picking songs willy nelly see what they are thinking about using. Work on their stuff. I bet the guitar will have sheet music on everything they are thinking about. Get copies and get in the shed.

Good luck.
  3. Journey55

Journey55

Tommy the cat by primus is a hard one
  4. jbalou02

jbalou02

Pino Palladino's bass solo in "Murder" by David Gilmour is NOTHING like what you are looking for but its awfully fun, one of my favorites from way back.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Find some JS Bach - you can get a book for of Bach stuff arranged for electric bass (with tabs included). That'll give your left and right hands a good workout, building endurance and strength, as well as improving your overall fluency on the instrument.

And, FWIW, IMO, (blah blah), slap bass is at best a secondary ability for most gigging bassists these days. Don't waste too much time with it.
  7. glowinghamster4

glowinghamster4

I've got their music pretty much down, its nothing too intense. I'm just looking for things to work on personally to get myself better as a player separate from that. I've actually been looking at a couple Primus songs Journey, and tommy the cat is about 75% there. That stuff is fun, but its just 1 or 2 riffs and the song is done, ya know? I do agree with you Ben that slap is sadly a secondary thing with a lot of modern music though. I've previously worked on Bach's Cello Suite #1, that's definitely a workout. Trying to get that one back into shape as well, and that's more or less like what I'm looking for. Anyone have any other finger picking favorites?
  8. Journey55

Journey55

Panic Attack by Dream Theater is another, albeit longer piece
  9. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

Joe Frazier by Bill Bruford with Jeff Berlin on bass is a good one to work on. Not too technically difficult but forces you to concentrate

And if you want a bit of a workout try this Jaco fingerpicking out: