1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Getting back into playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryanms3030, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

Hello all,

I'm new here. Didn't see an introductions thread so sorry for this post if I missed it.

I used to play in my teens and 20's mostly jamming with friends but haven't really played in past 8 years at all. In the past I owned a SUB, a 6 string Warwick Corvette and an old 90s BC Rich that I started on. I just ordered a used Squire VM 77 Jazz from Musicians Friend to start messing around at home and getting back into playing. I always loved the Jazz basses but never owned one mainly because I used to play more metal and harder music with my friends and didn't think the jazz pick ups would suit that style and I didn't' have enough money for a big stable of basses back then

These forums helped me make my purchasing decision this time. I really was leaning toward a Squire CV from most recommendations here but I found the used VM for under $200 so I had to jump on that. Now waiting to get it in my hands

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Welcome! Post some pics when you get it! ('tis a rule 'round here)

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Welcome to TalkBass, ryanms3030. TalkBass members love pictures. Post your instruments if/when you have some time.

There are many here in the same situation, myself included. The last time I played dedicatedly with a band would be 15 years ago. Maybe 3 years back, I was bitten by the music bug again, found TalkBass which is a goldmine of information, accumulated some new gear and practiced at home to get myself back up to speed again.

I want to play with others. I've met some local musicians and jammed a bit but nothing has clicked yet. I'm hopeful for 2014. (This has not affected my desire to buy new instruments. Haha)

Fact: With all the awesome instrument pictures posted on TB, you will of course develop a sense of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Debilitating condition (to your wallet/credit card) causing you to desire countless instruments.

4. johnson79

johnson79

I'm kind of in the same boat. I sold off all of my good gear to pay the bills and now I'm looking for new stuff. My brother gave me an SX PJ bass, but I need a new amp. Looking for a GK 400rb and cab. Ready to start playing out again! Good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad