Getting braces again... Sigh...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

At almost 20 years old I'm getting a second round of braces. The cross bit has gotten so bad that I can't effectively chew food on the right side of my mouth.

First round was in 3rd grade due to a severe underbite and janked up teeth all around.

Anyone else get/getting braces "late in the game"?
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear man. Never had braces myself, but on the otherside you should see it like this : it helps you to get good teeth and prevent that something gets damaged :)

Trust me, you will be happy if everything is okay with your teeth after it goes out again.
  3. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

I had them when I was 14. I wore a retainer at night right up until the point my retainer would no longer fit in my mouth. :ninja:

my widsom teeth came in when I was 15 - 16 and bowled one of my front, lower teeth out the ranks. Oddly my older brother has the exact same deal with his front teeth. :ninja:

[​IMG]

Luckily nobody in my family suffers from horizontal impaction. That looks brutal!
  4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I know someone that got braces in his 40s, so I guess it could be worse.

lowsound
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimK

JimK

...I got braces at 45; teeth "too straight", needed braces to create a slight overbite.
    I had them put on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2004. Yeah, what was I thinking...we went to a buffet & I busted a back piece off on the 1st green bean. This buffet had Brunch items available. I settled for eating scambled eggs that Thanksgiving.
    $27.50 for 2 helping of scrambled eggs.

Can't say I did not enjoy the monthly adjustments...(this is what I'm paying all that $ for).
    :)
  7. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Gold Supporting Member

Albums:
    I would say you're hardly late in the game. :)

I had braces the entire time I was in high school to straighten and correct an over bite. I wore a top retainer until I was 21. That was until I forgot it in a hotel room while working on the road and never bothered to replace. My teeth are now more crooked then before I got braces. I'm 48 and seriously considering getting them again. Hoping that something like Invisiline will do the trick. I don't think I could go the whole metal band :)bassist:) route again.
  8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

My Mom recently finished up a year or two with the Invisalign system, and she just turned 75.
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'm actually super overdue for having mine (all 4) yanked for this exact reason. To say it's painful most days puts it mildly. Once I get them yanked (this year, sometime), I'll be getting braces to correct the issues they made.
  10. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

Got regular braces when I was 27, and then blew it with the retainer which broke a couple years after the braces came off. Within 6 years, my teeth were a crooked mess again, so last year I went the Invisalign route at age 50. Invisalign is sooooo much easier on the head on all counts, and the added bonus is the "appliances" that fit over your teeth also prevent your teeth from getting damaged if you grind them when you sleep. A double win there for me. 13 months later and my teeth and bite are good to go. Highly recommended.
  11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    This is good to hear. I hope to go with the invisalign type when I get to that point.
  12. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

My wife had them when we started dating. She was 25 or 26 at the time
  13. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Man, I've only known one person over 20 that got braces and he's likely stuck with them for life. Didn't know it was so common to get braces after school age.

I go in to the orthodontist Tuesday for a quote and setting the date for installation. Looking forward to having straight teeth again. Not looking forward to rubber bands and metal mouth, though.

Still gonna be way better than the headgear and "expander" I had to wear in 3rd grade for that underbite haha.
  14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I had 2 neibourghs who had a brace as well a few years ago. One was 44, the other one 37. So it's not really age related ;)

15. Rocker949

Rocker949

I wouldn't consider 20 years old late in the game.
  16. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

My boss got his jaw fractured to put correct serious issues with it and had hardcore braces installed at the tender age of 62.
  17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

After posting this thread, I don't think I'm late in the game anymore haha. Must be everyone that I know just deals with having bad teeth, or has good enough teeth. Or I just don't know very many people.... :p
  18. tplyons

tplyons

Never had them but now at 27 I'm thinking about getting some Invisaligns to straighten mine out.
  19. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

1st world problems
  20. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Horizontal impaction IS brutal. Three of my four wisdom teeth were horizontal. The fourth was on an angle.

I'm planning to get braces for the first time this year or next. I turn 50 this year. Hoping Invisalign will do the trick, but I've got more than a couple snaggleteeth, so we shall see.
  21. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'm 43, just had my (new) dentist recommend that I get braces. My teeth have always been pretty jumbled and he says I'm not flossing the rear teeth properly because of it. Funny, when I was a teen I had a consultation and the orthodontist actually pushed me away from getting them on the argument that it would leave me with a big overbite and that as they were they kind of crowd in to prevent their being such a gap.

Not sure if I'll actually get them. Money's tight and my son has them now for at least another year and a half. Can't take on another set of orthodontist payments right now.