Getting hand cramps from playing Dirnt signature precision bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Oh. My. Goodness. I love this bass. Grew to love it because that CS pickup is something nasty...way louder than the geddy Lee I traded it for. No joke.

I just need to replace the strings because the old ones are dead.

but the neck is killing my left hand. Getting cramps after noodling foe thirty or so minutes. I do have small hands which probably explains why. J much prefer the feel of a mim precision neck.

The dirnt neck feels like an American precision bass...

2. mongo2

mongo2

Is the action too high?

Do you play with the bass hanging low on the strap so your wrist is bent acutely when playing?

3. cnltb

cnltb

Is the neckprofile not suiting you perhaps?
    I found necks that are too thin potentially problematic when I was still looking.

4. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. My theory is that basses are just like shirts. They come in S-M-L-XL-XXL etc. You need to play what fits you and what feels right.

I would recommend moving down a notch to medium scale and even check out short scale to see what gives you that stamina you are looking for without cramping.

Lots of folks on here will beg you to keep on keeping on with the long scale. It's like some perverse macho badge of honor on here that simply makes no sense.

Don't let them intimidate you - SIZE MATTERS! Find out what fits you.

More here if you are interested:

http://www.innertainment.net/medium.html

Good luck with the process. You will know when you have found the right size, it will be obvious.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

7. mongo2

mongo2

Exactly.

Lately I've been only a 24.75" scale bass I converted from a guitar and weighs only 6.5 lbs. It fits me perfectly, the neck stays where I put it so I don't have to support it and it makes playing much more comfortable. It sounds just as much like a bass as any other scale bass I've played. I wish I had thought of it decades ago.

8. Wow, sounds like a great bass - did I miss the photos of this?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but can you point me to some photos of this cool bass?

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

9. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

It was set up very very well. Maybe a small tightening of the truss rod. The action was as same as my main fender so no issue

I tested strap length of all types. Couldn't stand low hanging basses so its Geddy lee-strap area. Between my stomach and pelvis

10. mongo2

mongo2

I posted a picture here:

Picture

11. mongo2

mongo2

Maybe a neck swap?

12. Wow, that bass is WAY cool!

Nice job. You should win an award or something for that one!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

13. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Ya try swapping the neck for a jazz! Bounded and blocked would look sick on a dirnt p!

14. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I do have an extra mim jazz neck lying around.

I hope it fits but the dirnt required extra wood for extra oomph

15. mongo2

mongo2

Couldn't hurt try it.

16. Tbone76

Tbone76

The neck heel is different on the Dirnt bass compared to the jazz/precision. I'd try the cabronita bass neck.

17. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

The Dirnt series has a Tele style neck butt which is different than a Jazz style neck.
    The Jazz may fit, maybe.

18. ThisKid

ThisKid

this! i find my hands get more cramped when i play a smaller neck as compared to a p neck. I am a huge fan of the jazz bass but i do like the feel of a p bass much better. it fits my big ape hands much better. i find the strings are a little too close on the jazz and i find myself getting cramps not a lot..only when i play for hours on end. i also play my bass mid height up. not too low not too high just in the middle where i feel its comfortable to easily walk on all parts of the neck. its all just experimenting man. heights sizes etc. if you the money maybe you should get a custom bass to fit you!

19. mongo2

mongo2

I've put rounded heel necks on the 51 RI P and Sting sig which have squared neck pockets. There was only a small gap in the corners of the neck pocket which wasn't noticeable from several feet away. The neck screw holes even lined up with the body holes on the swaps I did.