Getting My P Bass to sound like a stingray

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sceptical1, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Sceptical1

Sceptical1

I think my favorite bass sound ever may be some of the earlier sublime stuff, Robbin' The Hood for instance. However, their bassist Eric Wilson used a stingray bass. I like the stingray bass sound, but I really prefer to play a P Bass (also the stingrays are way WAY out of my price range, and there don't seem to be too many suitable copies out there :scowl:). So how can I get that really trebley aggressive growl to come out even more than it is now but still be able to tone it way down when I want that upright tone? Active electronics (I'd prefer not to replace my natural sounding passive pickup.)? New strings? I use roundwounds now, but I kinda like flatwounds... then again they probably would muffle that growly tone a little, huh? Any tips on how to get that Stingray sound would be great, thanks!

2. wshines1892

wshines1892

I wanted the same thing, so I took a chisel to my pbass, put in a stingray pickup and installed an active pre amp. It sounds good to me anyway.

3. NineSpine

NineSpine

The stingray sound and the P sound are nearly opposite ends of the bass tone spectrum. You are kind of asking for a miracle. Short of routing out a new pickup, I don't really think what you want is possible.

I might be wrong though, so we will just have to see if anyone has any ideas.

4. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Frankly, you can't. The stingray sound comes from pickup placement (closer to bridge), the high impedance humbucking pickup itself, and the active MM preamp. Short of doing something similar to wshines, a precision (even with an active pre) won't sound like a ray. If cost is an issue, check out the Sterling by MM line- foreign build, cheaper, but I've heard the quality control is great. I played one at GC, and it sounded like the real mccoy to me (at least in that environment).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marton

Marton

Find a used SUB bass.

7. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

They ARE very different sounding basses. But a good preamp might get you a good part of the way there. Normally I'd suggest a Submarine by MusicElectronix/Zeibek, but the builder's been AWOL for a couple months now so I don't recommend buying anything off them directly. If you can find a Submarine used, give it a shot, with the tone knob around 2:00 or so.

8. Sceptical1

Sceptical1

Oh alright. I'm fine with my P Bass sound now, it's really good, the stingray sound is nice but i guess it's difficult to get from a P Bass. Maybe someday I'll have enough and be willing to pay for a stingray. I may try a preamp though, thanks.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Getting My P Bass to sound like a stingray

Put in a mm pickup and a 3 band preamp and you will nail it.

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Sell the P and buy a Ray (or just buy the Ray).

11. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Yeah, I'm with the crowd here - you want a MM sound? Get a MM.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Sorry, but the only way to get an MM sound is with an MM. Even other companies that try to put out a MM style bass can't nail the MM sound, IMO.

A P bass isn't even in the same ball park.

13. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

Disclosures:
    MTD kingston international emerging artist
    dig into the wood and throw in a MM pickup with a pre at the bridge! woohoo done!

14. moose23

moose23

Disclosures:
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    I don't think you need a stingray to get close enough to Eric's sounds, not sure about a P-bass but a Jazz would get you pretty close. I think it's more about getting his style right either way.

15. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Not speaking from experience, but I hear the Ibanez ATK basses come close to the MM sound while being much easier on the wallet. I'm still of the belief though that only a Stingray will live up to Stingray qualities

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

The other option is modelling via a Roland V-bass and pickup system - if you like a plastic lump mounted on the front of your bass.

But I'm with the others, if all you want it a MM sound, get a MM!

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

not going to happen.. wrong pickup and wrong place on the body. to get the MM sound you need a MM pickup near the bridge

18. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

second that

19. stflbn

stflbn

I'm a big fan of punchy MM or modern jazz bass tones.

I've struggled with 'wanting' to play a P-bass, but always ended up wanting or expecting that P-bass to be able to do more of a MM type tone. No matter what I did to the single pickup P-bass it just won't happen.

Different pickup configs give different tones, and a P-bass you either love, or need and learn to love because you need it.

20. Eric!

Eric!

Yep. I bought an ATK to replace my Stingray when I sold it to fund a summer trip. Heavy bugger, but whatever.
    Not exactly sure why this thread is in effects...but, if only someone would invent a sliding pick-up..
    [​IMG]

21. Hippos Melas

Hippos Melas

Not gonna happen. Go buy a 'Ray. And for cheap copies, look at Sterling By Musicman's Ray34. I've played several and own a real MM bass. They're pretty close and definitely a worthy copy.