Getting out of the rut...my thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ozonbass, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

For those of you that are thinking of hanging it up (for a variety of reasons)…no inspiration, no time, work, kids…I thought I’d try and give my perspective, and talk you out of it. I’ve been playing since I was 13. Started out with the typical garage band situation playing rock and roll covers. Didn’t have a clue what I was doing but kept thumpin’ away. Played pretty constant for the next ten years. Country and rock bar bands mostly. The college scene. Even did a couple of “tours”. Things changed though. Life happened. Got a married. Got a real job =). Had kids. And slid my bass under the bed for ten years. Didn’t touch it. Then one day when my youngest was in middle school, his band director called and said that my son had mentioned that I played bass. He was looking for a bassist for a big band. I told him I didn’t read and it had been a while…”not a problem…you’ll catch on”. I think he was desperate. I pulled the pbass out and dusted it off. Showed up and followed the guitar players hands for 2 hours. Didn’t have a clue what was written on the charts, but I kept showing up. Ten years later, I’m still with the big band, can sight read pretty much any chart that gets thrown in front of me. Met a lot of players. Bought a DB. Got a call from a jazz sextet (think Monk to Mulligan) looking for a bassist…sure, what the hell. 5 years later and we’re recording again next month. Recently hooked up with 3 players and I’m playing rock again and having a blast. Last week, I got a call from a pianist looking to do the duet thing…”I heard from a friend that you were a solid player”…I guess my point is, you never know. Don’t lose heart. Practice. Try a different style. Get out of your comfort zone. Adapt. Evolve.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    About a year and a half ago, I thought of giving up playing. At that point, I had been playing for 32 years and was pretty bored. I went as far as listing all my gear on CL. The following day, a guitarist I had known for 30 years but had never played with called me and asked me to start a band. I decided to do it and haven't been this happy playing in years.
  3. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Testify, Monk!
  4. Sni77

Sni77

Wow, great stories. Thanks for posting!
  5. deeptubes

deeptubes

August 2011, my best friend of 30 years (and my guitarist for 25) died at the age of 41. We were like brothers. His mom introduced me to her friends as her "other son". I even called her mom. Completely lost all of my drive. We had been working on putting a reggae project together. I already had 5 badass basslines done. Came very close to selling all of my gear. Glad I didn't. My daughter Elise will be 2 in 2 weeks, and she loves watching me play. I can't wait to teach her. His mom gave me all of his guitar equipment. His old guitar will be Elise's first. The cycle will renew itself.