1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Getting really fat, Jazz fusion bass tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cammy511, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Cammy511

Cammy511

I want to get a tone much like this one. I figured my attack wasn't good enough so I worked on my playing for quite while and I got a little closer but still it sounds to harsh and not smooth enough.

My equipment:

Ibanez SR 705 With Bartolini MK-1

Genz.Benz Shuttle 3.0 with a 12 inch cab.
  2. Swipter

Swipter

Some may be your setup. The farther the strings from the fret board the more difficult that growl is. My Pedulla sounds a lot like that and plays like butter, I was told by someone I once played with. My fender on the other hand? I cannot get the strings as close and have more issues with that tone. I did change my approach some on that bass due to this. I think the guy in the video has a super close setup as he is not hitting strings very hard. This will lead to greater flexibility for finger type effects.
  3. spz8

spz8

Yeah, that tone is pretty sweet, plus having killer skills sure doesn't hurt! Try panning your P/U balance in favor of the bridge pickup. Boost EQ at 250Hz for some added burp, and trim a little at 800Hz to 1kHz to tame harshness. Treble sizzle to taste, but too much can add to the harshness.
  4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Technique is a big part of it. Pluck near the bridge, use a light touch.
  5. john m

john m Supporting Member

Low mids and mids are boosted and playing close to the bridge is important to get this sound.

Interesting that the player in the video only has a neck pickup although the sound is very "bridgie".
  6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

It's dark in the video, but there's definitely two pickups and it sounds like a bridge pickup to me, or favoured in that direction if there's a pan/blend.

I wouldn't describe this tone as fat, but it does suit the music. Great playing all around.
  7. rimbaud

rimbaud

The first thing to do is to burn those @"'(é!àç_è(-" MK-1 and to replace them ... that's the first thing to do when you receive a Cor-Tek built bass that says having barts pickups...
  8. socialleper

socialleper

For whatever its worth I took some lessons from Ric in the late 90's and he played a Pedulla at the time. I can't remember if it was a a Thunder Bolt or Thunder Bass. He is definitely a fan of that low growly tone. He is a great bass player; its unfortunate that's he's never really "made it big."
  9. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

There are two pickups.
  10. "Q"

"Q"

I can't say for certain but, the bridge pickup looks like a Bartolini MM. And he's playing on top of it or even behind it sometimes. Not surprising he's getting the sound he is and not really a sound you can get from just any setup either.
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

[QUOTE="Q";13585918]I can't say for certain but, the bridge pickup looks like a Bartolini MM. And he's playing on top of it or even behind it sometimes. Not surprising he's getting the sound he is and not really a sound you can get from just any setup either.[/QUOTE]

theres another video he did for xotic that shows this bass. its two kent armstrong humbuckers.
  12. "Q"

"Q"

Is this the one?

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

[QUOTE="Q";13586178]Is this the one?

[/QUOTE]

looks like the video. fwiw, when ive seen him live playing the pedulla with emg's, his sound was pretty similar. low mid burpy with that tight playing by the bridge sound.