Getting TI feel/sound without the pricetag?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IPA, Nov 8, 2012.

1. IPA

IPA

Probably asking too much, and if that's the case I'm okay with that.

I love my TI JF344 flats. Best flats I've played, better than Chromes, better than LaBellas. At least to me. The perfect balance of feel and tone. The way they move and feel under my fingers makes me *want* to play for hours, which is worth a lot in my book. I have a set that's over a year old and still sounds perfect to me.

Is there another set out there that comes close for... not 70 bucks? If not, I'm okay paying that much considering that they seem to last forever, but paying less is always welcome.

2. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

The TIs on my P are 3 years old. The TIs on my CB probably wouldn't be replaced for 2 more years, unless one breaks. I can't think of another set of strings that has given me the shelf-life and continued tone (I think they get better with age) that TIs have. I play 5-ers...so $90 a set. But, looking at the cost and longevity of other makers I've used in the past...the TIs (for me) work out to be cheaper in the long run.

3. CnB77

CnB77

As far as I know nothing else has that fell and tone combo. If you want something on the loose end I believe there are light gauge chromes that will at least be less stiff feeling than some flats.
    Anything but the TIs would be a huge compromise though. It's too bad they cost so much, but they're the only game in town for that type of string.

4. IPA

IPA

That's kinda what I figured.

Further question, what makes em so good? I don't know if I can really articulate, low tension and smooth finish without sounding totally dead?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

I think it's their punch, articulate nature, and mid-range tone that sets them above the rest. A lot of other flats sound dead to me when they're fresh out of the box. TIs sound more alive and full. I wouldn't say they have a roundwound sound to them, but they also don't sound like a regular old flatwound to me.

7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    When you consider that TIs last for three years or s -- at least for me -- it worls out to $35 a year or so for strings. Back when I used Swing Bass, I routinely went through about one set a month. And even at $20 a set, that's a lot more $$ for strings. I Started playing in 1965 using the LaBella flats that came on the second-hand P bass I bought. I didn't change them until 1971, when I opted for Rotos after seeling ELP.

8. IPA

IPA

That's exactly why I don't have a problem with paying 70 bucks a set, but hey, if it can be done for cheaper (although in this case, doesn't look like it can) I would like that.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, TI JF344s from a better vendor. ;)

10. engedi1

engedi1

I can testify that even the lightest guage chromes feel/sound NOTHING like TI flats. TI have a 100% nickel construction that is unique, and have silk core, which is unique. There is nothing else like them. I love them, but not everybody does. With certain setups, you can get surprising tones out them. Check out this recording my fusion band did. This is with a Sadowsky modern 5, front pickup only, straight into the board with TI flats. No eq, no compression, just raw. Forgive the weirdness of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWv_xeYLFs

11. MatthewMack

MatthewMack

Nice playing :bassist:

12. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

I like your playing. It's not my style, but still, I like it. To describe the sound of your bass: Those strings aren't sounding, they are singing. If that's mainly due to those strings, I'd like to give them a try as well. :hyper:

13. IPA

IPA

Hey, I'm open to suggestions if you have one!

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    There really isn't anything else like the TIJF... Sonically they are pretty much their own thing. They also last long enough that in reality they are one of the least expensive strings you can purchase... I have used light weight chromes. Not bad but they sound nothing like the TI's. They do go dead and get thumpy fairly quickly which makes them a good choice for some types of music.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did a quick Google check and found that even Guitar Center is at 60 bucks today. My last set cost under 50 bucks I think. It was an eBay vendor, I'll see if I saved the details.

16. engedi1

engedi1

The singing tone is largely the strings, but it is also the bass which is very resonant. The player might also have something to do with it! :)

17. Budbear

Budbear

18. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Attention to detail and pride in craftsmanship . . . . gets what ya pay for.

19. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

My TIs are 12-13 years old, and they're just getting to where I like ém! :hyper:

I guess that works out at... er... um... peanuts per year. :smug:

20. IPA

IPA

I just decided to just go for another set of TIs, why mess around when I know what works?

Guitar Center had them the cheapest I could find at $59.99, used a coupon code and got 10 bucks off of that, free shipping, not too bad.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you like TI's, there really is no other string like them. I'm not a fan, but I get that many folks like them.