1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Getting your playing to sound cleaner.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Precision101, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Hey guys I've been guilty of playing a little sloppy for a while now. I recorded some tracks and my playing is a bit messy but the timing is good and the notes are right. It's just sound of the strings being slid upon and my fingers coming off the strings from doing 5ths ovtaves, triads. Etc. and a little bit of buzz. I've heard a little but of buzz is good and in the even in the best bass lines "alike roundabout" there is a Ton of buzz sounds great. I just was wondering how to get rid of some of this stuff to make it sound like a clean cut bass line. Thanks

2. stratovani

stratovani

First, ditch the roundwounds and get a good set of flats on your bass. That should take care of any string squeaks. Secondly, raise your action just a tad, to get rid of any buzzing. You should get a nice clean sound after that.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! No need to ditch the rounds, bro. Not everyone likes flats. This ain't the string forum ;)

However, it is true you can play them cleaner because they don't squeak as much. But you can still clean up rounds pretty well. Just be more conscious of it, use more precise fingerings, lighten up on the right hand attack, etc. But bass is kind of a noisy instrument, and even the most clean players always get a little noise now and then, so don't obsess. Just get what you can and don't worry about the rest.

4. GigJones

GigJones

Practise 2-octave scales and arpeggios with a metronome.
    Play them slowly at first and be very aware of every buzz, flam, flub, click, clack, etc.

Start with Ionian mode (major), around the circle of fifths, then Aeolian (minor), then Mixolydian (dominant), etc.
    Move on and increase the speed only when you can play each scale, and arpeggio, consecutively clean.

However, as Jimmy states, the bass is a noisy instrument. But after honestly practising scales,
    you’ll be flying around the fingerboard with much less noise before you know it. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Precision101

Precision101

Thank you guys so much I'll take this to consideration and I have been slacking on my theory a bit so those scales will help too.

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

When you listen to jazz musicians, you don't hear that much noise if at all.

The only way to work on that is to be causious of it and play slow and avoid unwanted sounds before you speed up. a good way is like Gigjones said, slow scales and arpeggios covering the whole bass.

8. Itzayana

Itzayana

Absolute truth. This is it 100%.

9. eukatheude

eukatheude

I'd say get a low pass filter and cut the extreme highs, and you'll be ok.