GF wants to buy me a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thenazz, Dec 26, 2013.

1. thenazz

thenazz

I've been playing my '76 Precision since 1983. It's the only bass I own and absolutely love everything about it, great narrow neck, low action, and nice fat round tone. My band plays soul/R&B/jazz/etc. The only other bass that vaguely holds some appeal would be a jazz, but I would still be trying to get the sound I have now. Before I tell her thanks but no thanks I wanted to get a little feedback from everyone out there in internetland. Opinions?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Price range?
  3. clmayhew

clmayhew

How about a fretless P? Or a P with a jazz pickup in the bridge position?
  4. El-Bob

El-Bob

Politely suggest that she get you a piece of gear that's more useful to you?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

She's probably trying to help you out by replacing that old "worn out" looking bass for a shiny new one. Explain to her that it takes 30 years to properly break a bass in, and you're just not up to the task.:p
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

8. pgolliher

pgolliher

It's a trap!!! It sounds like you are a "one bass" guy. You have already found "the one". Odds are any bass she gets you will not be your main player and she will be hurt that your favorite isn't the one she gave you.
    It is the sweetest of intentions, but a no win situation.
    Do a weekend getaway instead.
  9. southpaw723

southpaw723

If you do gigs it's always nice to have a back up. Squier vintage modified stuff is cool. They have a fretless and a six string to go along with a jazz, a precision, and a jaguar.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

So you don't want a free bass?

Are you on drugs?

:bag:
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I was a one bass guy for 30 years ... I had a 1968 Rickenbacker 4001. But then I started getting other basses and I liked them better. I no longer own the old Ric. But I have a dozen cool basses.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If you play in a band that makes money that you rely on or play with some great folks who rely on you get a backup and remember all the things you love about your bass thieves do also. It's better to look for a bass now when you don't have to rather than wait and be without a bass and make a rush decision.
  13. unclebass

unclebass

If you think she (your GF) is "the one", tell her that once you find something you really love(her and your bass), you don't settle for anything else, and nothing else could even compare to the perfection you have already found. If you can say it in the right way at the right time, you may get more than just equipment!!
  14. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

My gf wouldn't have to ask me twice! :bassist:

...then again, I've been married for 30+ years, what would I know? :D ...especailly about a gf...:bag:
  15. rashbeep

rashbeep

A gf who actually encourages you to get new gear doesn't sound that bad to me..
  16. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

I'd second the " get another piece of gear". Maybe you see a need in the amp/cab department. If it has to be a bass maybe a jazz. I have the need for a B string in about 85% of the gigs I get now and in about 75% of those situations the tone of my EBMM SR5 is just to aggressive. I've been looking at the American Deluxe Jazz V. Active/passive and can get aggressive but calms down nicely and knows how to play nice.

But this may not fit your situation.
  17. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Dude .... what a sweet lady you have .... very nice!

I've been pretty much a died in the wool P-Bass guy myself for over 40 years.

I have had my share of other boutique and not so boutique basses but have always returned back to the P-Bass feel.

Currently I have a 2003 Lakland Bob Glaub which after all is a P-Bass ............ BUT ............. I had this ordered with a J-Pickup as well.

That would be my suggestion .... you can always dial in the P-Bass but that added J sound really puts a nice point to your tone and sort of gives you two ways to go with one ax.

By the way ........... it's awful nice that you are not taking advantage of her .... it would be difficult for me given the G.A.S. I frequently experience if give that option LOL :D

My thought would be a nice P/J
  18. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Get a fretless Pino Palladino model, and learn "Everytime you go away" for her....
  19. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Another for a different piece of gear. Another amp, even as a back-up, could be very useful.
  20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

If that bass does the walk and talk why replace it. At one time I had over 10 basses and a few amps. I ended up taking the same bass or two to every show and often wondered why I had the others.

Today I have one bass one and and its a no brainier. If you like that bass and it sounds great..keep it. Put the money towards something else or just save it.
  21. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member