1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GFS MM pups - any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 22, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Has anybody here had experience with the Music Man replacement pickups they sell at Guitarfetish.com?
  2. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

The alnico one is a pretty good p.u. for less than $40.00 i'd consider it a real bargain.Afriend stuck one in his p bass:bassist:
  3. sotua

sotua

I bought a couple of the ceramic ones.

Hear some (lousy player, sorry :) ) demo clips:

https://soundcloud.com/fngasser/datbass-finger?in=fngasser/sets/dat-bass

The bass is the one pictured (so it's bridge and neck positions, not MM sweetspot). Passive vol-vol-tone-tone circuit. Recorded direct from the line out of my GB Shuttle head.

For US$30 each, I'm more than satisfied with them. That bass sounds thunderous, and cuts through a two-guitar band mix like a razor. Lots of "finger noise", ghost notes jump for lively funk. I love this bass, and I'm thinking of putting in a preamp in and get the full potential out of both pickups at the same time (i.e. eliminate the usual output drop due to loading)
  4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Excellent!! That's exactly what I've been looking for with these pickups! I've been debating about replacing the bridge pickup and neck pickup of this bass with them

[​IMG]

and then installing the current neck pickup between the new middle pickup and the neck. Split the MM's and I'd get J'ish tones from the rear and middle, and Ric'ish tones from the middle pup's rear coil and the J neck pup.

Thanks!
  5. Samsquanch1972

Samsquanch1972 Supporting Member

I recently bought the alnico version, hoping to install it in my Fernandes Atlas this weekend.
  6. Samsquanch1972

I soldered in the GFS alnico MM pup in my Fernandes this morning, couldn't be happier, great sound, much better than the stock pup to me. It is rigged on the three way switch to do front coil, then parallel, then rear coil, and dead quiet in all three positions. Can't beat it for $44 dollars shipped.
  7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    To those of you that bought them - are they epoxy potted, or can the cases be switched to something without visible pole pieces?
  8. Samsquanch1972

I don't think you can get them apart.