GFS Pickups, anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Nov 30, 2007.

1. bthiemann80

bthiemann80 Supporting Member

Anyone tried the bass pickups GFS makes? The pickups in my G&L SB-2 are not quite to my liking, I dig more on the alnico side of the bass spectrum. I'm thinking of replacing them with the GFS vintage Pbass in the mid position and GFS Jbass in the bridge. I've used their standard staggered strat pickups before in a guitar I had a while back and they were amazing, total articulated vintage tone for days. However, I havent had any experience w/ the bass pickups though I would assume them to be of equal quality or better. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience w/ these particular bass pickups.

2. bass_69

bass_69

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the GFS bass pickups ?

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I know guys who rave about their guitar pickups but I don't know much about the bass ones. They're pretty cheap tho, try em out.

4. Al Heeley

Al Heeley

I put a set of GFS JB pro pups in my thru-neck zebra build. Cranked up they sound great. I can't compare them directly with the real thing but to my ears they deliver a good tone range that is obviously coloured by the bass they are put into. For the money they are brilliant. I've used maybe 5 dirfferent sets of GFS pickups now in various other (non-bass) guitar builds and I will continue to use them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    This is one of those topics that comes up every now and again, but it seems like hardly anyone really tries them out. The guitar pickups are supposed to be fantastic for the price (they're the preferred brand for modding Squier '51s, that's for sure), but all of the bass dudes seem leery of low-cost pups. I'm curious to know how good they are as well. I suspect they're at least average, but who wants to upgrade to "average"? When I upgraded my SX last year I just bit the bullet and went with Nordstrand, which are amazing, but i'm still curious about these cheapies.

8. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

OK,

I used a P90-style on an SG-type and it sounded superb. My current Tele has a Fatboy on the neck and it is one of the best-sounding Tele neck pups I have ever used (and I've built/modded a *lot* of those). I tried a 10K Tele bridge, but it didn't sound like a Tele to me.

I put a P-bass pup on a beater Presision-copy for a friend which turned out to be Artec. It was about 7K and I felt it had a great tone, but lacked punch on a passive system, but I have no doubts that it would be excellent with a pre-amp.

I'm seriously considering getting the GFS Fatboy Bridge pup to go on my Tele, despite the fact I currently have a Fender '52 ReIssue on there which is about as autentic as it gets, I suppose. For me, there's something to those wider magnetic slugs.

As I said, i wouldn't be scared to try them. I've certainly found one or two gems.

I'd love to try a pair of Liverpool 'buckers in my TA-40.

9. robert43

robert43

Hi I have GFS Jazz set in my parts bass , value for $ they are good .
    Not as good as the better brand PUPs but then ony 1/3 the $,I guess its like comaring a SX bass vs a MIA Fender.

10. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

I suppose that you have to figure, if they are 1/3 the price, are they maybe 4/5 the tone?

11. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

I put the GFSPB Pro in a MIM Fender.
    I wanted a vintage sound and wrote to them. They suggested this model was more vintage than their 'hot' wound pup.

It sounds fine; good lows, mids and some treble there. Heck, for $32 its a great deal.

I'd do it again.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfspbpropbas.html

Regards,

Mike

12. Down Low Joe

Down Low Joe

I put some in a Peavey Milestone II. They really sound good and sound exceptional for the money involved. I will be ordering a set this week for my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and look forward to trying them out on the job. Again, a set of Fralin's or such would be a better pickup, but these put a decent pickup in the hands of us working guys for a reasonable price.

13. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

I heard on some forum that the GFS bass pickups are Squier pickups. They are supposed to be made in the same factory. Can anyone confirm this?

14. redzebra6

redzebra6

I can at least help you on half of your question. I have a Squier MB-4 (w/out the skull and crossbones) were I replaced the stock J pup with the GFS version. Better output, better sound, not a lot of cash = me happy. It's not a ceramic magnet underneath, so I'm going to guess they're ALNICO somethings, maybe 5's but I really can't tell, nor do I get wrapped around the axle about such things. I just know that it's no longer weak.

Really, for the price they offer, what's to lose? It's better than shelling out $60 - 120 and NOT liking it. Sure, it's not a boutique handmade by elves sprinkled with the ashes of the best bass players in history. It's one component in many to find the sound you like. And the best part is nobody will know unless you tell them!! Shhhh!!!

15. redzebra6

redzebra6

Huh??:eyebrow:
    I can confirm that my stock Squier J pup and the GFS pup are not the same. The GFS is a tad bit bigger (length and height) than the Squier, and the cover looks a little different. Small details. I'm going to have to say.....eh...probably not.

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    i've heard from a few internet sources that there's a strong similarity between GFS pickups and Artec pickups, and several folks have suggested they're the same pickups sold under different brands. from what little i've seen these seem to be a good upgrade from a crappy stock pickup, but chances are if you're starting with a solid performing pickup and want something more magical, you'll probably have to spend more.

17. CID Vicious

CID Vicious

The Artecs are likely made in the same factory - but are NOT GFS specs. www.caliguitar.com is the USA Artec dealer. They have some interesting Neodymium magnet models but that was all that really all that caught my eye.

I've used GFS pickups and hardware for a few years now and there's little to complain about. Aside from the Dream 90 not sounding like a P90, most of the descriptions are accurate.

I used the Vintage P Bass in my Dean Edge and it's a big leap up from most stock pickups in sub-$200 models.

Have Dream 90 n and Big Mouth b in my OLP Tin Top. Wilkinson tuners and cast roller saddles. Transformed the guitar for a bill shipped. Would have sold a really cool unique guitar otherwise - beats shrugging and saying you can't afford to fix the small stuff on a good instrument.

Apologies for the zombie thread resurrect but I kept seeing the erroneous Artec reference, and for some reason bassists seem gun shy about them.

18. bassliner50

bassliner50

I had a GFS vintage P-bass pickup in my Xavier P bass. Nice full sounding PUP. Not aggressive at all. These things go for like $32 from Guitar Fetish, so the value is outstanding. As I remember it utilized alnico 5 magnets....I ended up putting Fender original '62 pups in the Xavier more as an experiment rather than because I was unhappy with the GFS. The '62 sounds noticeably better. In summary: the GFS is a good pickup. Absolutely great for the cost...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. sotua

sotua

I have the MM Ceramics. Here's some clips of them passive:

And a clip with a Bassmods 3 band preamp:

I like them. And for the money? Crazy good.