1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GHS Boomers E string question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FourBanger, Feb 7, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

I am now on my second used RBX170, the first one left me but I scored another for $75.

I have determined it is strung with 45-100 Boomers. This is my first experience with Boomers but I'd like some input regarding the E string.

I am finding the 100 is not as tight as I'd like, I was used to 105s (Yamaha stock then Slinkys) on the first one I had, but I do like the softer flexibility of the lighter Boomer E string. Is this flexibility because it is a lighter string or is it a property the Boomers all share?

I am going to change these strings out for a set with a thicker E most likely, will a 45-105 set of Boomers feel tighter on the E and still have the suppleness or is there another string I should look into? I would usually look at nickel roundwounds (plated or pure).

Are tension and flexibilty mutually exclusive?
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    100 is going to feel like a 105 tuned down a little more than a half step

So yes.... Lower gauge is lower tension when comparing the same exact construction string.
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Are the Boomers considered a supple string or a stiff string?

This string has more "give" between the frets, if you get the description, than the Balls I had before, but that was also thicker, and I am curious if it is simply because this one is a 100 and therefor lower tension or if Boomers are not as stiff as the Slinkys.