1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GHS Boomers E string question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FourBanger, Feb 7, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

I am now on my second used RBX170, the first one left me but I scored another for $75.

I have determined it is strung with 45-100 Boomers. This is my first experience with Boomers but I'd like some input regarding the E string.

I am finding the 100 is not as tight as I'd like, I was used to 105s (Yamaha stock then Slinkys) on the first one I had, but I do like the softer flexibility of the lighter Boomer E string. Is this flexibility because it is a lighter string or is it a property the Boomers all share?

I am going to change these strings out for a set with a thicker E most likely, will a 45-105 set of Boomers feel tighter on the E and still have the suppleness or is there another string I should look into? I would usually look at nickel roundwounds (plated or pure).

Are tension and flexibilty mutually exclusive?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    100 is going to feel like a 105 tuned down a little more than a half step

So yes.... Lower gauge is lower tension when comparing the same exact construction string.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Are the Boomers considered a supple string or a stiff string?

This string has more "give" between the frets, if you get the description, than the Balls I had before, but that was also thicker, and I am curious if it is simply because this one is a 100 and therefor lower tension or if Boomers are not as stiff as the Slinkys.