1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GHS Flats 3025 Users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 27, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Please tell me about these strings.
    I never hear anything about the lights. how do they feel and break in compared to medium gauges string to string.
    How is the tension. Are they rubbery light say TI`s.
    Thanks

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Problem with those threads are that their five pages long and nobody explains the light gauges. Always the typical 45-105.

4. Ron G

Ron G

I have Precision flats on my basses, hope this helps:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigbassmike

bigbassmike

I have ghs medium flats on my american standard p bass and really like them. I purchased a squier classic vibe 50s p bass and the sales guy threw in a set of light gauge D'Addario chromes. I tried the chromes for several months, but compared to the ghs flats I wasn't liking the sound. Since I had mediums on my Fender I thought I would try a set of ghs lights, so I ordered a set of ghs light flats from bassstrings online (hint, hint). I really like the light gauge...same deep, dark sound as the mediums, but not as much tension--very easy to play. They didn't require any break in--felt great right away. I've had them on the classic vibe for 3-4 weeks and just keep getting better. I don't plan on changing the strings for a long time.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Thank you.
    This is what i was hoping for.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

I know its off topic but how are liking the bass?
    Been playing one at the store every time i visit.
    Think its calling my name.

9. bigbassmike

bigbassmike

Fantastic bass for the money. Now compared to my american standard (2011)...well there really is no comparison, but the classic vibe with a good set up and good strings is a fantastic bass. It is fun to play, feels great and is a well made instrument. I switch it back and forth with the Fender. I've kept it all stock and am very pleased with the pickups. It was calling my name as well, so I went for it.

10. donn

donn

I'm pretty sure the GHS flats that came with my bass were light gauge - E string was the same diameter as La Bella 0760M A string, so that adds up. Low tension, comfortable. Not what I wanted for tone, though - maybe they were a little weak in the mid range, which might account for why the low end didn't have the presence and the G string was a little twangy/noisy.

I may have gone a little overboard with the 0760M, about the heaviest gauge you can get, but that's about the sound I like, even new. If your preferences don't call for the full, midrange present La Bella sound, these light GHS strings might be great.

11. Salamenster

Salamenster

12. donn

donn

You're saying you used the 3025 .45-.95 gauge in that video?

13. Salamenster

Salamenster

I'm not a big fan of the 'gauge has a significant impact on tone'. It has a bit, but it has much more impact on feel of string. This was the .45-105 or so.