ghs flats 55/105 users, tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by perutxo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. perutxo

perutxo

Hi there!
    I am currently using ghs flats 45/105. I love the tone, the feel, the tension, but I'd like the D and G string to have more body. Would the 55/105 set be too far in tension compared to my current one?
    Thank you :bassist:

2. perutxo

perutxo

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I wouldn't think so given that you find the current D and G strings a little loose. The only downside is that the A string will also be a little tighter. Only you can say which would suit you best and you won't know until you try. The strings you have now are at and above the normal tension for a bass string and the heavier set will be even tighter. There is a chance you won't like them. If GHS sells them they must suit some people. I tune my basses in fifths, some with Precision Flats, so I have to use custom sets but I set the tension about where you presently are, not where the heavier strings would put you. But that is me and you are you.

Ken

4. gary m

gary m

I've used the 45 - 105 set for years with good results. Higher tension strings will most likely require adjustments to neck relief and intonation depending on your instrument.

Alternatively, you could just replace the D and A strings with higher gauge ones, and leave the. 45 G in place. This might lessen the pull from the. 55 G.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. perutxo

perutxo

I appreciate your good will, but you only speak from guessing, that's why I explicitly wrote in the title " Ghs flats 55/105 USERS". As for supposing what things might be, I already have my own suppositions. I don't mean to be rude but I'd like to hear some oppinions based on experience, not on mere suppositions.
    Thanks

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Nobody seems to be using the string set you are asking about, sorry.

You get to be the first TBer to try them out!

8. perutxo

perutxo

9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

While playing flats for a year, I used heavy guage flats exclusively for 8 of those months including the GHS 55-105 set. Tension is indeed higher than your current set but not by too much. The larger D and G will give you a fuller sound, and since that's what you are looking for - go for it.

10. gary m

gary m

My apologies. Good luck in your search.

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Ok, well I do use the 0.055 Precison Flat as a D string and I am quite happy with it.

Ken

12. perutxo

perutxo

Thanks Gary (no need to apologise) and Ken for your input. Thanks PbandJBassist for the answer, that's what I needed to hear. This thread can be considered completed. Thanks again to all of you.