GHS flats sticking

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ken J, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

Just switched from nylon coated strings to GHS Bright Flats on my Dyna fretless. I'm finding my fingers sticking when pressing and resistance when I slide. My Fender Jazz is strung up with Thomastik Infeld and they do not stick or give me any resistance at all. Is this what's to be expected from GHS strings? Will they smooth out over time or is there a dressing that needs to be applied?

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

should smooth out over a little play time.

3. Candy Man

Candy Man

I had the same experience with the brite flats and removed them after a week... On the other hand, GHS precision flats are super smooth, feel broken in and sound amazing!

4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I had that same problem with D'Addario half rounds...my fingers stuck like the strings were sharp files. They chattered as I moved along the strings. (I never had that problem with Brite Flats though, although they may have changed over the years.)

I don't see how the strings will "break in". Heck, they're metal. Your fingers aren't going to smooth the edges of the windings.

If I liked the way the strings sound, I'd put some paper for protection between the strings and the fingerboard, and run some fine emery paper or steel wool over the strings. You may be able to take those sharp little edges down and have some nice strings when you're done.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ken J

That's a bummer. I bought those D'Addario,s with the GHS,s. I was just going to swap them out.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... that is interesting, and I think that the reaction between strings and each persons skin is often overlooked ... I am always hearing how smooth the TI's are, and after trying them several times, I find them to be one of the stickiest flats I have used .. on the other hand, the GHS (Precision Flats though) strings were probably the least sticky and smoothest to me of any I have used ...

8. Ken J

I ordered the GHS Precision flats from BassStringsOnline.com. Ill report back on my findings.

9. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

I found TI sticky too but after wiping them with a cloth and pure alcohol to celan them form dust and other stuff they are smooth!!

clean your flatwounds first! factorys have dirty dust floating around...

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

The Brite Flats are groundwounds, so naturally they're not going to be as smooth as regular flats. The name is a bit misleading, as they're not really flats at all.

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... very good suggestion, but in my case the TI's were a couple years old, cleaned many times, and they still seemed to not react well with my skin ... I do have another used set on hand though, for my yearly trial, as I do like the string ....

12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I always heard the same thing about GHS bright flats. Sticky strings is a deal breaker for me. Halfrounds were also sticky. If you're looking for bright non-roundwound strings with zero finger noise, I suggest the new "white" labella tapes. Fanfriggintastic strings.

13. Ken J

I recieved the GHS Precision flats from BassStringsOnline.com. and installed them last night. Wish I bought them first. Its still early but it looks like a winner. Ill follow up after they break in a bit.

14. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

They will wear in I bet - many flats I have used were sticky at the start and smoothed up fine after awhile.

15. randysmojo

randysmojo

I've ward from different people that the D'Addario Halfrounds feel sticky or grabby at first, but that goes away after some play time. F so, is there a way to speed up the process?

16. gary m

gary m

I think you'll like them. They've been my go-to flat wound string for over ten years, and they've never let me down.. Drop the action down and enjoy!

17. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

I've had the same problem with various flats, and for me the fix is crazy easy (and very old, I certainly didn't think of it). Any time you feel like your finger pads are sticking on the strings, just brush your finger pads on the side of your nose. Your fingers will immediately feel super slippy - for a short while even too slippy.

Too easy.

Mike

18. randysmojo

randysmojo

I totally forgot about the nose trick. Thanks for reminding me!!

19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

GHS Brite-Flats aren't flatwound strings, They're a modified roundwound string. The outer wrap wire is round when they make the string, then ground down so the outer surface is flat. They still have the gaps, and the grinding process doesn't get it as smooth as a true flatwound string that uses a flat ribbon wire for the outer core. They're much like D'Addario Half-Rounds and Dean Markley's Ground Round Wound.

And they do (or at least did- I haven't used them since at least 1990) get to feel smoother after being played for a while.

John

20. fretless19

fretless19

In my area, the Brite flats are the only flatwound available, and i find that they are sticky until they break in to playing tension. super smooth after a month.

21. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I had the same issue with my Chromes too. I wiped them down a couple of times with alcohol and it did help. Also the oils in your skin will help slicken them up over time too.