1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ghs flatwounds on a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basso_profundo, Feb 24, 2014.

1. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Well, I put some ghs flatwounds on my Amercian Standard P-Bass yesterday. I've always played roundwounds and wanted to see what flats sounded like. Mainly I wanted to tone down "The Chunk" a bit because lately I've been playing with a lot of acoustic guitars.

It still sounds like a P-Bass, but one from a motown recording via 1967. More thump-y and not aggressive - definitely will work for acoustic guitars. Not sure how it'd cut through a rock mix with drums, but was tweaking the mids on the amp enough to get that effect.
  2. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I have them on my P - their true tone doesn't set in for a good month. Just wait :)
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

They'll cut through the mix just fine. My drummer loved it when I put the GHS P Flats on my P Bass. Said it "thumped" more.
  4. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

They feel really cool. Sliding up/down to notes is a change, but sounds awesome.
  5. gary m

gary m

Congrats...you've just hit upon the strings that bring a P bass to life. And things just get better with time. Drop the action down low and enjoy!
  6. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Add a little dirt and once broken in......Bass Nirvana!
  7. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

GHS P flats + SCPB = :)
  8. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

Yea, wait till they have been on a year or so. Lost track of how many years I have been using them on my 72 P. I did a lot of acoustic /electric gigs, good for soft slide and quiet thump with treble backed off.
    Same bass and strings , open treble up and in rock and blues, cuts thru mix great and solid with drums.
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

They don't "cut" through a mix, so much as bludgeon their way through a mix. Less sword, more club. :smug:

MM
  10. ERicks

ERicks

I cut almost all my bass tracks on two records a few years back with one of my P Basses with some GHS flats on them...I think they were the "precision flats." I'll see if I can find some youtube links later.
  11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Very good combination. They're a good match for P/J basses, too.
  12. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I've had GHS Precision flats on my Pbass V for a little under a year now and they're pretty great. Had Chromes on that bass for a couple years, and like the GHS better because they have a little more life in the mids. That bass kills with my 11-piece cover band (5 horns)... Tower of Power, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, Chicago, some Steely Dan and a bunch more.

The GHS also seem to have a little less tension than the Chromes, which is another thing I like better. Those Chromes can get pretty tiring on a 4 hour gig.

5sg.