1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GHS Precision Flats *angels singing*

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Oct 25, 2012.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

After trying TI, Fender, Chromes and Labellas, I finally put a 55-105 set of GHS Precision Flats on my Fender P.

THERE IT IS! That nicely broken in, mid bumped thump that I associate with P-Basses. Usually I have to play flats for a while before they sound like they're broken in, but these are perfect right out of the pack.

Tension wise they seem to be a little stiffer than Chromes, yet they don't..I'm not sure how to explain it. They have tension, yet it doesn't take as much force to get them moving, if that makes sense.

/glowing rant
  2. gary m

gary m

There it is, indeed. These are THE quintessential American flats, and the only ones I'll ever use. I traveled the same path as you, trying all the others, but settled on GHS. Welcome aboard.
  3. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Agreed. I also find they are about the smoothest and silkiest feeling strings I've ever played. The Fender flats I had tried on my Squier VM J felt like roundwounds compared to these.
  4. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I had a set on my 5-string Jazz-type Squier Standard Precision V, but didn't love them. I imagine I'd like them on a P, but I'm too much in love with my D'Addario Tapewounds to try anything else.

Glad you've found YOUR string!!
  5. fourstringdrums

They are very thumpy, I can see why people WOULDN'T like them. If you're looking for that wooly airy p-bass tone, they're not your string for sure.
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

A) Sound clips?

B) It guess that's why GHS named it 'Precision' flats!
  7. tdoody

tdoody Supporting Member

got them on my lakland p bass. plays great sounds even better.
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I will never cheat on my Labella's sir never I say.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Thanks, fourstringdrums. I'll probably try these strings next. I recently got into the whole P-with-flats thing. I've got Rotosound 77 Jazz Flats on her now (and foam mute). She sounds good, but I can still imagine better. I'm going for the old-school blues/rnb thing with this axe, and was thinking about LaBellas. But I want to try something really stiff feeling, and IIRC people have posting saying the Chromes are VERY stiff. So if you say that in a way these feel stiffer, I'm quite intrigued.
  10. fourstringdrums

Well tonewise, with the Chromes you'd be going in the other direction I'd think. They're fairly bright and are a good cross between rounds and flats IMO.

The stiffness could be because I'm using the 55-70-95-105 set. If you get a "medium" gauge set they might be a little looser.

No soundclips though I suppose I could work on it.
  11. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Labellas will get you stiff. I mean.... um...

:bag:
  12. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I've just put my first set Precision Flats on a Reverend Mercalli. I literally just strung them up then took the bass to have a bone nut installed. I was not blown away immediately by them in the short amount of time I played them through headphones (like I was and still am w/LaBellas), but we'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes. I'm hoping they sound great at rehearsal this weekend!

FWIW, I have LaBellas on a P5 bass (that will always be on that P bass) and Chromes on another 5 string bass.
  13. fourstringdrums

What do you like about the chromes and labellas that doesn't quite hit you with the ghs?
  14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I don't particularly care for the sound of GHS P flats in my practice room but on the gig they really do the job. Never have I had any trouble hearing myself even in acoustically unfriendly rooms which is why they are my go to string for live work.
  15. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Got the same set on my Classic 50's Precision. I love these strings. They did bent my neck, but nothing a little adustment couldn't fix.
  16. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

It's tough to describe, because what I like is part bass, part pickups, part strings. The LaBellas on my P just sound like I think that P should sound. Thumpy but with a farty kinda woody tone with some character overtones sorta like a hoarse banshee screaming respectfully, but sternly in the mids. Or something like that. Hard to descrbe.

The Chromes are great on one of my basses that is a little dark. It brightens it up and give the amp setting more to work with. They are alos great on the fretless. I did not like the Chromes on my P...

I just need to spend some time with the GHS's to see how they like to be eq'd. I'm patient.
  17. soulman969

soulman969

When I bought my Jazz Bass last fall it had a set of GHS PFlats on it. Love the bass and love the string but not in that combination. For my playing style flats on a Jazz Bass makes it too woofy and tonally restricted. I just can't get the mid range punch, growl and articulation I'm looking for out of that style bass. So they had to go.

I asked for some suggestions for a different string from Jason @ bassstringsonline and based on my description of what I was after tonally we came up with GHS Pressure Wounds as a first choice. They're now also my final choice and I'm on my second set. They're the perfect string for that bass and my playing style.

The GHS PFlats didn't get trashed though. They sat in my drawer waiting for the PBass I'd been planning to buy since spring. Well I just bought a Matt Freeman and finally those PFlats had a home.

Now that Matt Freeman sounded nice and played very well even with those stock D'Addario rounds Fender puts on them but to me it didn't sound the way a PBass should sound. It was missing that big old round bottom and thump that only a great set of rounds will give it.

So now it has the perfect strings for it's basic tonality too plus a Wilde P46 split coil pickup (highly recommended) and I am one happy camper. Soon the Jazz Bass will also have a set of Wilde J45s in it and then I'll be an even happier camper. That's next months project.

I've heard the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats are quite good too but I've become quite a fan of the GHS strings and it's no surprise to me fourstringdrums found his perfect tone in them too.

The PFlats and PWounds may not be a fit for everyone or every bass out there but they sure as heck make a Fender style JBass and PBass sound like I think they should. To me 50% of what you expect to get out of any bass tonally is gonna come from your choice of the right string on it for your style of playing and the material you typically play.

So $25 to $50 spent on what you need to get that job done may well be the best investment you'll ever make besides the right bass itself.
  18. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

They are my go-to flat these days. I prefer the .45-.95 set because the tension is less than the medium through heavy sets. Old School Vibe really gets me going!
  19. Darren R

Darren R

When I tried the GHS flats 45-105 gauge I found the D and G strings to be a lot brighter than the thumpy/less sustaining E and A strings. Was kind of annoying.. at least with chromes they are sounded equally bright until they broke in and warmed up.

Do the strings even out over time to become thumpy on all strings? Perhaps I need more patience.
  20. gary m

gary m

Mine seemed to settle in after about 30 days. I use the same gauge set on several of my basses with similar results. One thing I don't do after every use nowadays is wipe the strings down right away...I do that about every other use. Finger oils seem to be part of the break in process.