GHS Precision Flats: is this right?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Daveming, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Daveming

Daveming

I have tried every flatwound string under the sun except for these. The other day, I put a standard 45-105 set on a swamp ash jazz parts bass, running the strings thru the body. This is what I got:

E string = broken in feel & sound (deadish, thumpy)
    A string = like the E only less so
    D & G = radically different feel & sound from the E/A (tighter, livelier)

Is this right? I think I've read about these strings requiring a long break-in period, but to these ears & fingers, the D/G strings feel and sound VERY different from the A/E.

I want to take this bass on the road in 2 months and I want to use flatwounds, but the UNbalance in feel & tone concerns me. GHS flats are roughly 1/2 the cost of the Labellas and Sadowskys I normally use. Is this a case where you get what you pay for?

What's the skinny? (I DO like the sound in general.)
  2. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

3. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Granted, I only have had them on two basses (still do after three + years) and I've experienced NOTHING like that. All strings are equally balanced, and have been from the beginning. Great stings, overall (tone and feel-wise) IMO.
  4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Not all flats can be strung through the body. The bend over the saddle might be a problem with the heavier strings.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Daveming

Daveming

Thanks, I'll check out the thread.
  7. Daveming

Daveming

OK, the general consensus is that the D & G will settle in and the set will balance beautifully after the break-in period. Guess I'll have to play the heck out of them and bang them into submission . . .
  8. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

They become more balanced as they age. :thumbup:
  9. Daveming

Daveming

OK I see what all the fuss is about with these strings. They are not yet totally balanced after one week of playing, but the tone, feel and projection of these strings is quite unlike anything I'm used to in the world of flatwound strings.

I guess they would be considered a higher tension string, but they are so responsive, so "there", you get so much back even when playing with a light touch. And the tension means you can get your action quite low and still produce a robust tone.

All that in a string that costs 1/2 the price of the flatwound strings I have using all these years. I'm impressed!
  10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

In my heavy string testing phase, I tried two different sets of GHS P flats, and both sets the G string broke while I was installing them ... now to clarify, I bought both sets used, and both were supposedly only on for a short period and removed ... so I can take two things from this scenario ...

.. the previous owners also experienced something perhaps similar to what you were experiencing and did not want to take the time to see if they 'settled in' ..

.. and GHS P Flats are probably not the string of choice for one who is taking strings on and off with any frequency .. probably more suited for the put them on and play them forever crowd ...

... to further clarify, both sets were used top loaded only Fender J, and both G strings broke about an inch in from the end where previous owners had put the 90 degree bend in them to insert into the post prior to turning ... both were still usable, but with a hair over just one wind on the post ...

.. bottom line, IMO they are a buy new string, both because of lower cost and my breakage experience, and probably not a string to put on when needing a well balanced string that night or weekend ...
  11. gary m

gary m

These are my go-to strings. Never been disappointed with them in the ten plus years I've used them. Yes, they do settle in over time, and no, never had one break on me but to be fair I've not swapped sets between basses, either...once they go on, they're on for good. Definitely a "set and forget" type of string in my experience. Enjoy!
  12. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

In my experience they are very balanced without any of the problems you've encountered. The set on my Ibanez SR900 are mounted through body and sound great. They did take about a week to stretch out and settle in but now stay in tune for long periods of time. It may be best to put on a new set if you plan to stick with them long term. Mine have been on for six months without issues and no plan to change them.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

I've got a full ten months on my set now, and they are perfect. :)