1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GHS Precision Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

I have played Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys for most of my bass career, which admittedly is not as long as most of you guys. Based on discovering and taking part in Talk Bass, I had a small foray with flats earlier this year. They were Chromes and I generally liked them. I actually had a phase where I was messing with alternate tunings (BEAD) and took them off and they got thrown away by mistake (long story). At any rate, I have played Chromes and a friend of mine has Rotos on his Ibanez, not the Steve Harris model but the others. Anyways, that is my small experience with flats.

Today, I happened to stick my head in at the local guitar store. As is my usual custom, I checked out the bargain bin to see what kind of deals there were to be had. Near the bottom of the pile there was a package of GHS Precision Flats (Long-Regular) marked down. The outer package looked a little beat up, but strings were new. What amazed me was the price: $12! I am not sure if they were mis-marked - I asked the guy working and he said the computer rang it up at that price. That was cheaper than the EB's I was playing - I had to scoop them up and try them.

Oh man - I am pretty sure this set was made for my bass (Fender MIM P-Bass). These things have amazing tone right out of the package and feel great! I know these get a lot of love around here. Consider me another convert and witness to their awesomeness. I have another bass - a Dean EAB - has anyone ever strung up an EAB with these guys? How do they sound?
  2. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Mods, you can delete this post if you want...did not see other similar post above when I posted.
  3. gary m

gary m

Love these flats on everything I have except for my Hofner (Pyramids) and my Dean ABG which gets D'Addario tapewounds. Can't imagine them sounding bad on an ABG...I say go for it.
  4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I have a set of these on a P-bass with '62 reissue pickups. It is one of my favorite basses.