GHS Pressurewound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMike, Feb 5, 2010.

1. BassMike

BassMike

I just ordered a set of these strings online today from juststrings.com:

GHS Electric Bass 4 String Pressurewound 34" Scale, .044 - .106, M7200

http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricbassguitarpressurewound.html

I've tried to find information about these strings, but found only a few people who have actually played them. Has anyone had experience with these strings?

My understanding is that they fall somewhere in sound and feel between flats and rounds.

I'm going to put them on my newer MIM Fender P-bass. Any feedback/insight is appreciated.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes, they are between flats and rounds. More like rounds than flats soundwise, and they have a nice feel to them. I had a set on my '51 Precision Reissue, and they worked nicely. They lasted a long, long time for me.

I don't know why pressurewound and groundwound strings aren't more popular.

Watch the Dave Pomeroy videos on the GHS website. He loves the pressurewound sets, and is a heck of a player.

3. ChrisAlan

ChrisAlan

Yes. Agree.

They lean toward rounds in sound.
    A smoother feel though.

I used to play those for many years on my Rick.

Good strings.

I didn't stop using them because anything was wrong with them. My taste just started preferring the stainless round sound. :)

4. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

If you don't like those, SIT silencers are another great choice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

They're my new favorite.

8. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I have them on 3 of my basses currently. They sound like a flat, but have more sustain and are a little bit brighter. They feel like a very smooth roundwound. They last quite a while. The strings are a good compromise between a flat and round.
    For fretted players, they are kind on your frets and for fretless players your fingerboards. I like them quite a bit and highly recommend them.
    They should sound smashing on your P Bass.

9. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

used them for years... ken smith compressors are also very similar. i've often tried other strings but always come back to the pressurewounds / compressors....

10. BassMike

BassMike

I should have them in my hot little hands in a few more days. I'll post my findings when I get them on the guitar.

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

I put them on my fretless 'Ray4HP a few weeks ago, but haven't spent much quality time with them. So far, tho, they're working much better than grounds for that particular instrument.

12. ironrat

ironrat

I tried them but didn't like them because they got rusty fast. I wiped them regularly with Dr.Duck's Ax Wax.

Soundwise I liked them. Round sound with little finger noise.

13. BassMike

BassMike

A couple of interesting videos on how guitar strings are madeĀ…

They must have shared their footage, alot of it looks the same.

14. Jiegel

Jiegel

Just threw on my first set of these ('77 Ibanez Challenger) and I'm a little disappointed so far. I agree with those who are saying they lean more toward round sound - so far I don't hear much flatwound sound at all - even with the Challenger (think '75 P Bass) I'm having trouble getting that nice thumpy motown sound I'm used to.

They feel nice enough, but the sound is a little strange to me so far. Hopefully they break in and mellow out quickly.

15. soulman969

soulman969

They don't lean towards a flat wound because they aren't even though they're called pressure wound flats. They're an alloy round wound type string with a somewhat flattened outer wrap. They don't have the "thump" of a typical flat wound.

They're a hybrid string but it would more accurate to describe them as a very mellow round wound type with a much smoother feel with less string noise and brightness than the typical round wound.

Here's how they fit into the mix on a brightness scale;

GHS Bass String Brightness Scale:[​IMG]

They do mellow out some as the break in but not anywhere near what you'd get from a typical round wound because they aren't all that bright or zingy to begin with. Great strings if that the sound you're looking for.

16. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I just put a set on one of my basses and they sound excellent. I agree that they sound more like a round wound than a flat. I really like the tone and will definitely put them on some of my other basses.

17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Great strings! not for me, but great strings regardless.

18. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

One of the best strings I've put on my P-bass. When I roll my tone knob all the way back, I can get some awesome Motown/reggae thump.

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I should note that those using GHS's website as a reference... They list these strings as Long Plus (34 35 36" instruments), when they are actually only Long Scale (34" instruments w/ a 36.5" winding length).