1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GHS Pressurewounds body-thru?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Roadkill, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

Anybody else had a problem with these strung body-thru?

I just had a new custom made and wanted to try these strings so I had a set shipped to the luthier to be set up on it. When I received it the "E" was totally dead. I moved all the strings to top-slot-loaded and the "E" improved somewhat but was still quite a bit deader than the other three. I had another set here so swapped out the "E" and now that sounded quite a bit "zingier" than the other three although those three sounded the same and were nicely thumpy by themselves :) . A few days later I swapped out those three and they now sound like the "E". So I guess the "E" was severely damaged and the other three just moderately.

Now, I have no idea what exactly the luthier did to them (if anything) besides stringing them through body. I was thinking he might have done something to "de-zing" them all and perhaps the three higher ones aren't damaged at all (but doubt that) but the "E" definitely sounds like a loose/busted underwrap (been there, done that). But I just don't know so thought I'd ask if anyone has been able to use them thru-body successfully?

Mostly morbid curiosity at this point - I have no intention of every trying that again and am quite happy with they way they sound now :) .
  2. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I have used them on a couple of my basses that are body through strung without any problem. If you have never used GHS Presssure wounds before, they are compressed strings with round cores. This leads to a darker tone that does not have the grinding sharpness of stainless or nickel rounds.
    If you have used them before, then the strings might very well be a bad set. email GHS and explain the problem. They are usually good at taking care of customers.
    I hope you get it sorted out quickly.
  3. Roadkill

As I said I changed them out for another identical set I had on hand and they are fine now. The "E" is definitely big-time dead - sounds like a gut. The other three sound like they are a couple month's old - not bad but I had to change them too as they didn't match the tone of the new "E" I changed the completely dead one out to. In any case I like the tone of the new set - pretty much what I expected :) .

How sure are you that the core is round? It lists them as hex core here:
    http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/bptt/index.php?startid=37
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Link is accurate, Pressure Wounds have a Hex core...
  5. Roadkill

Thanks! I also fished the cut-off ends out of the trash and unwrapped them - indeed they are hex core :) .