1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GHS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by We_are_peppers, Nov 8, 2013.

1. We_are_peppers

We_are_peppers

I swear by GHS Bass Boomers. (Yes, because of Flea). Is there any way to keep strings in good condition for a long period of time? I've heard non-specific descriptions about liquid solutions that make the strings sound like new again. Thoughts?
  2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Ghs fast fret helps. Marlowdk on youtube has a plausible method. Wipe down strings before/after playing.
  3. punisher911

punisher911

That's the only theory I've ever heard for rounds.. Clean your hands before playing them.. Wipe the strings down after...
    However, I play flats... Once I get a set I like.... they stay on forever....
  4. exidor

exidor

there have been about this,but the secret that is not a secret is after strings are dead take round bowl with good & tight lid go to store like meijer & buy 99% Isopropyl Alcohol,I always get a few at a time.
    wind strings place in bottom of bowl cover with 99%,some people wait over night some wait a few days some wait a weak.then take out dry pat off let dry.like new strings.
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Depends on how long you mean by "a long time". :meh:

In truth, roundwound strings do tend to accumulate dirt & oil, and they do tend to eventually go dead. That's just a fact, so if your expectations are of anything other than that, the first thing to do is to revise your expectations. :eyebrow:

Other than that, it's all the basic stuff. Keep your instrument clean - especially the fretboard/fingerboard & strings. Wipe strings down thoroughly after every use. Wash your hands immediately prior to playing. Once strings have been installed and tuned up to pitch, leave them on. The process of completely detuning, then retuning weakens strings, reduces their elasticity, and shortens lifespan.

MM
  6. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    There's a lot of excellent info; thanks gents!
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Keep in mind Flea gets a new set installed every day..sometimes 2 or more times a day during recording. So....stock up :)
  8. Jacsipmac

Jacsipmac Supporting Member

This makes my wallet cry. And Boomers are cheap! (Relatively.)

I use super light gauge Boomers. 40-95. The light gauge means they retain a good amount of sizzle even after they start to die. I got three weeks to a month out of mine when I was playing everyday. There are worse things than a $20 a month string habit.

The problem is if you have a bunch of basses or don't play that often, the strings still go dead after six weeks or so. Now I'm dividing time between a few axes and playing a lot less so I'm trying to make the switch to coated strings in the hope that they'll stay nice and hot even if they sit around for a while.
  9. Jungy

Jungy

I have an active jazz with emg's that I rarely play. I put roto nexus strings on it over a yr ago and it still sounds great. Mind you I've never tried any other coated strings so not really recommending them over others but they have worked for me in that situation.
  10. Jacsipmac

Jacsipmac Supporting Member

Cool. I didn't even know Roto was making coated strings now. I'll have to check them out.

Thanks
  11. j67

j67

I'm a huge GHS Boomer user. I swear by 'em. I tune drop D and found the set that works best for me are .115, .085, .065, .045. This is basically a medium set with a heavy E-string. That can get costly, particularly when I go through about 3-4 sets per year. I buy them from www.juststrings.com They sell a 2-pack of the medium gage sets for 33.00, and I order up a couple individual .115's for 8.00 each, and I end up tossing out the .105's that come with the medium set. So a set of "my strings" runs me about 20 bones. Not bad. Plus they always throw in a handful of guitar picks, which I give to my son for his little guitar. Man, I find those things all over the house.
  12. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    I have found that, for me, any of our nickel-iron alloy strings (Progressives, Pressurewounds, Brite Flats, Big Core Bass) last a heckuva lot longer than anything else, even with regular use.

That said, I have a set of Boomers (strung E-F) on my fretless 6 that have been holding up for two months, and this bass is used almost daily.
  13. levis76

levis76 Supporting Member

Speaking of Big Core, are those available in a 5 string set? If so, what's the gauge of the B? The website shows Jonathan Moody endorses them and he plays 5 and 6 string but the site only shows med gauge 4 sets available.
  14. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    GHS Official = Jonathan Moody :bassist:

We do have a 5 string set, where the B is a tapered .130. It sounds good compared to the other strings in that set; nice and even. You could add a Progressives B string and high C, as those would be tonally similar to what the BCB is.

That said, I do have a couple four string basses, that have BCB set on regularly.
  15. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Cool. Love your 6 string stuff. Very melodic and just plain beautiful.
  16. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy

I am wondering why it is so incredibly difficult to get GHS Pressure wounds from Long and McQuade in Canada ? I ordered a five string set and waited for about three weeks until I got a phone call from Long and McQuade saying they would be at least another two weeks or more (till the end of this month , December, or beyond) . I gave up and ordered strings through Long and McQuade from another maker. They came in, in less than a week (about five days).

Five weeks or more for pressure wounds ? Is this normal ?

Sorry about the rant , but I am just really disappointed .

And of all things I am in the Windsor Ontario area , just across the river from Detroit Michigan. Isn't GHS located in Michigan ?

Just thought you should know about this difficulty getting your product GHS Official . This kind of thing must be costing you lost sales .
  17. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'll pass this on, but that shouldn't be a problem at all. I just ran back and Pressurewounds are in stock in the back. I don't know how L&M order, but did they place your order, or are they waiting for a big enough order to then place everything at the same time?

I had an experience like that prior, when I was ordering a set of Seymour-Duncan pickups from my local store. They said it would be a week or two, and then two more, and two more. After two months I called the purchasing department and found out that they only order once they have a certain amount, and until they hit that my custom order would have to wait. I ended up ordering from Warmoth instead and got the pickups three days later.

Not saying that's what happened with L&M (because again, I don't know how they operate). I will, however, pass this along to our international sales rep, as it is a concern.

And yes, GHS Strings are wound in Battle Creek, MI, just two hours west of the Detroit/Windsor area.
  18. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy

Thanks for the reply GHS Official I appreciate it .

Don't get me wrong I am not mad at GHS . I just felt you are loosing money and potential customers. If it was my string company and I was loosing sales for some reason I would want to know about it and why it is happening .

Maybe I'll try again for your strings when I need another set .

Thankyou
  19. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    No offense taken; I completely understand your frustration. Especially in this day and age, it should be a piece of cake to find something to try out, so if it's not working, we need to look at it and see what we can do to fix it (or at least try).
  20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

hi, JM....

does GHS have a BEAD set of double-balled ends?!!

or maybe a normal BEAD set! TIA