Giant Cans of Iced Tea - What is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by seescottrock, Jan 10, 2014.

1. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

I'm attempting to kick my soda habit, but replace it with something a little better for me that's not water. Sports Drink is right out, as It reminds me of that one time I had to take a whole bottle of Miralax mixed with 2 bottles of Powerade... TMI, sorry. Anyhow, the top contender right now is Iced Tea in giant cans. Tell me about your favorite variety.

I'm really digging the Arizona Cranberry Tea, and Arizona Southern Style Arnold Palmer. If it's gonna be super sweet, I want the tea taste to shine through, and these two seem to nail that.
  2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    A lot of those a crammed with as much sugar as soda. I used tea as a soda replacement years ago and ultimately have shifted to water and unsweetened teas.
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I like Arizona brand teas, but Im trying to drink less of them. Unfortunately they all have high fructose corn syrup in them.
    If I wasnt in the mood for a Peach Iced Tea or an Arnold Palmer Id get a Cherry Lime Rickey (its a decent substitute for soda, as its carbonated) or a Mango Lemonade.
    Now I'll just brew up some fruit teas, with no sugar. Or I drink water, and sometimes coffee, also without sugar.
  4. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Sounds like you already figured it out! :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

What he said. Those giant cans of iced tea are sugar bombs.

I like Honest Ade. They have some really good flavors of teas and juices with not nearly as much sugar as Arizonas and the like
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I don't drink them for the reason Unrepresented mentioned, sugar. Get yourself an iced tea maker, some tea bags (I use Lipton or Salada), and brew your own. Very simple. This is the iced team maker I use, cost me about $30:

[​IMG]

-Mike
  8. seescottrock

Ha, I know, but so much more bang for the buck in a giant can versus a can of soda, so I can have one instead of 2. But yes, hopefully after some time I can progress to unsweetened. One step at a time.

Cherry-Lime Rickey? What sorcery is this? Also, what teas are you brewing?
  9. seescottrock

Crack Juice, that stuff is. It's cool living in the same state as Arizona is made (NY), because generally I can find most of the flavors... except cranberry which seems to be New England based.
  10. seescottrock

I have one of those as well, the very same kind. I like to brew up a bunch and mix it with lemonade during the summer. It's just... I like drinking out of cans. I know that's strange.
  11. MatticusMania

Its pretty good, if you dont mind the sugar.
    [​IMG]

We got a Celestial Fruit Tea sampler and theyre all pretty good.

[​IMG]
  12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

+1

Honestly, the only way to get out the high sugar game is to make your own tea at home and to keep it either unsweetened or to only sweeten it a small, measured amount. That, or just drink water. Almost anything you find in a can or a bottle will be just as bad as most sodas.
  13. Richland123

Richland123

I brew my own iced tea; but, around these parts, Galliker's is good.

[​IMG]
  14. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    If you're going to do this, at least check to make sure it does not have H.F.C.S. or a ton of sugar. As said, otherwise, you're not better off at all.
    I'd be a big advocate for making your own, and you don't even need a machine to do it. It's quite simple to make, and you can experiment with different kinds of tea and blends to find one you really like, then you can take it where ever, in whatever quantity you want.
    Disclaimer: I'm a tea junkie. I love buying and drinking it, and having "tea time". So many varieties, especially if you look at loose leaf instead of pre-packaged.

Edit: If you have to have a can, try one of these:
    http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/my-eco-can
  15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Or if you already own a tea pot, just boil water, put the boiled water into a large container with the tea bags already in it, steep it for about 6-8 minutes, and then take the tea bags out and add water to the remainder of the container. No need to buy a maker in the slightest :)
  16. basskidd

basskidd

^ This. I used to do this with an 'emptied' wine jug (lol) and tea leaves. Best damn iced tea I've ever had :) haha
  17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

arizona green tea
  18. MatticusMania

You dont even need a tea pot. I just boil water in a regular pot, pour it into a cup, and then steep it in there.

My girlfriend got one of these for Christmas:
    [​IMG]
  19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

This is what I do. I use Tazo Island Passion. It cost a little bit more than your standard tea but tastes so good and is totally worth it. It doesn't really need a sweetener, but if you insist on adding some, you can use a little Stevia.
  20. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    The Arizona Peach is my favorite. Here's a little tip to make it a slightly more "adult" beverage. You know those little single serving "Club" drinks that most liquor stores carry? Grab yourself a small can of the "Long Island Iced Tea" flavored Club. Take a few swigs of the Peach iced tea to make room. Pour the can of LIIT Club into the Peach iced tea. Voila.

Great for summer i must say.
  21. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    You don't even need that! One time in prison we made iced tea out of ketchup, some canned peaches, and some bread. Throw that in a sweatsock inside a ziplock bag and BAM! Iced tea!

:|