1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Giant Steps: Double Bass Solo.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by one4dabass, Mar 21, 2014.

1. one4dabass

one4dabass

2. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

Beautiful...as usual.
    Please play a note out of tune, someday, so we know you're human(!).
    Thanks for posting.

3. jcrowe

jcrowe

4. one4dabass

one4dabass

Thanks to Don and jcrowe for your kind comments ! Don: Ha ha ha !!! I'm too much human... :) The goal was to really try to play along the chords, to really be able to understand the chord changes before trying to play it out...
    I also wanted to find the right pitch and the right intonation/phrasing with the new sound I tested (the cutting phase sound is fun but hard to control and tricky with the pitch modulation :) )...
    Thanks again for your comments, good week, good music and good bass to you !
    Mathieu

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Man, I'd sure like to hear that without the phasing!!!! Great playing, as usual.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

+1

8. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

9. one4dabass

one4dabass

Thanks to all of us for your comments ! I've recorded two previous acoustic runs earlier in the week, I just have to mix it before sending (probably on my soundcloud channel where I posted some working/non mastered rushes. I really love to play it acoustic as a natural/main way of playing (especially when changes are slower :) ), I tryed to explore new sound possibilities on this one, to be able to phrase and think differently than my "natural" construction ... In the past, playing some electric/electrified phrases really helped me to "dare" to do the same acoustically -especially playing "dirty/less controlled- (and reciprocally)... Thanks again to all of us for your listening and comments, have a nice day,
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

10. Fencer

Fencer

Wow! This is so awesome!
    I watched your other videos too, they are just as amazing!

11. one4dabass

one4dabass

Hi guys ! First, thanks Fencer !
    I've not mixed again the acoustic version of Giant Steps (really no time to do), but here's a unique lecture of Coltrane's Satellite (I Phone vid and one form, as he great JOTW group requires). As ever, the goal was to phrase and sing, understanding chords and structure, so I've choosed to play along the slow version. Far from my usual bowed playing level (one day of bass a week),old Iphone sound , hope you'll like it... Blessings.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=303016846515193&set=o.558429457587216&type=2&theater