Gibson 5 string EB bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmoney61092, Jun 19, 2013.

1. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

2. gary m

gary m

I rather like the look.

3. ChloroPhil315

ChloroPhil315

I dig it, id love to be able to try one out

4. wrench45us

wrench45us

Did these just get released?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

I'm guessing so, they're the newest product on Gibson's website. I'm definitely interested in trying one, hope one comes to a music store near me

7. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

my guess is that these will be available for $1000 or maybe even less. There's a couple 4 stringers on eBay with buy it nows for $869 from Music123 so I'd definitely pick one up if they're around that price. just wish they were available in the creme but I'll get over that haha

8. Draculea

Draculea

I like it, looks awesome.

9. vates

vates

Subscribed.

Has anyone already tried one? What's the string spacing at bridge? How does the neck shape feel? How does the B-string sound?

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

I like this way more than I like the four string version. In fact, I think this body style is way more suited to a five string bass! In fact, this bums me out because I thought my gas was gone LOL

11. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I'm also interested in hearing about the neck profile and the B. Babicz bridges are only made in 19mm, so unless they made a special one for the Gibson, 19mm is my guess.

12. GM60466

GM60466

I played the 4 string. I rather liked the new bridge design. Not enough bass for the price.

13. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Disaster Area Amps
    I'm also interested in hearing more detailed specs on these. I prefer tighter bridge spacing - 17 or 17.5mm suits me fine. I play 5-string EBMM basses and vintage Gibsons mostly, and they are all tighter spaced than the typical 19mm Fender setup.

I can manage with the wider spacing at the bridge, but the nut width will be a killer. 1.75" for me or bust :(

I will be at NAMM this week - booth 1058! If I can get over to the Gibson booth I'll try to check one out and report back.

14. swamp2

swamp2

Not enough bass for the price? Seriously? I bought one at our local independent last week. $775 with the Gibson custom fit hardshell case. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but it strikes me as being a fantastic instrument, best effort by Gibson in a LONG time and an order of magnitude more interesting than any bass that's come out of Fender in 3 decades or so...

If you can find a better value on a new US made bass, please let me know! I usually buy used but I was really interested in the EB since it came out and couldn't pass this deal up...

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I like the 2+3 so the B string doesn't bind, but it's bassically (pun intended) a Jazz bass position humbuckers bass. The neck pickup will have too much low end and not enough harmonic development over the long haul. I would prefer the neck pickup to be about the width of the pickup closer to the bridge to get the proper balance of fundamental and harmonics on the B string for clarity.

16. Hilton Marsh

Hilton Marsh

The shape and colours shown on the web site are too bland for my personal tastes but if this bass is great to play and it can produce a wide range of rock tones then bland is the last thing I would care about. The bass doesn't 'stand out for me'. What happened to Gibson producing a hybrid bass? Or did Ibanez beat them to the punch. Wait, don't answer my question I have no intention of hijacking this post.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Do a search here. There have actually been about a dozen threads already about them, including some reviews from those who have played/bought them. I'm not lecturing, just offering you some free info already posted here.

19. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Wait, independent volume controls for the pickups you say? That should solve it!

20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Fans of Gibson basses will like this, I bet!

But I'd guess there'll still be some neck dive with it. IME, the upper horn needs to position the strap button at about the 12th fret to avoid neck dive, and from the pix it's at the 15th fret.

Hey--that's not a deal-killer for everybody, though.

21. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Disaster Area Amps
    I'm wondering about neck dive myself - I did notice that there is some extra body mass past the bridge which could certainly offset some of the headstock weight. I'll have to try one out and see...