Gibson and Epi Thunderbird pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Roadstar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Roadstar

Roadstar

So I play in a Manson tribute and have a few Epi Birds and I love the necks on these. I could do without the neck dive but my biggest issue is these pups man they are just so muddy to me and I cant seem to get it out without loosing all the good low end and mid harmonics in the tone. I have a t-bird pro with active pups but its not much better. Beyond frustrated with this tone. Where is the replacement?

2. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I don't have any personal experience with Seymour Duncan SSB's, but it sounds like they'll give you the clarity you want without sacrificing low end, and they should fit in the factory cavities, but you'll have to drill new screw holes. Here's a video of how they sound in an Epi T-Bird:

3. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

4. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

Been looking at emg ffor this application and their remote power. Have a few epis including an explorer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

BTW, if you have an Epi Explorer (as I just acquired), the pickups are different sized than the Gibson T Birds pups shown by EMG.

Just learning more about the Epis but they call all of them the same thing on their website, even though they have 3 different pick up models on them.... I was ready to replace the pup, but its actually sounding pretty good and right now a few down on my list of improvements.

BTW, just gigged for the first time after a new set up on my EpiExplorer and impressed with its ability to cut through vs my Active Fender.... great sustain... could be the brass nut... I was wary because of the wide nut and fret board, but there is some interesting things with the Explorer... built in arm rest!

Posted a photo of it a while back.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=366619&d=1381116183

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Another vote for the SSB's. I put them in my Reverse Fenderbird project (t-bird electronics in a P-bass), and also in a custom Thunderbird I built.

Super clean and just great tone. Really great 'bird pickup.
    [​IMG]