Gibson $ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gunner77, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Gunner77

Gunner77

I have been looking at maybe trying to pick up a money bass. Can anybody with experience with these tell me if they have a neck dive issue?

Gunner
  2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

With a slick strap, mine dives a little bit, but with my Levy's strap it stays fine. I definitely recommend picking one of these up, man. They're awesome.
  3. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

It's a well-balanced bass, especially considering how small the body is. VERY hot pickups, too.
  4. Gunner77

Gunner77

Good to hear all the positive comments. I have thunderbirds and an explorer so I know how to deal with long necked Gibsons but I was just curious about this model.

Gunner
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gunner77

Gunner77

Also does anyone know if there were 400 of each color made or 400 total?
  7. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I think the 400 number was for each the Midnight Blue and Natural. Not sure about the other color.

Edit - Not sure if the other colors were $ basses. They were called Les Paul Double-cut basses, but were identical except for the finish.
  8. Gunner77

Gunner77

Well the one I was interested in disappeared from Ebay. That's a relief to my wallet anyway! :meh:

Gunner
  9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Well that sucks. Was it a blue one? If so, I saw that earlier today. They pop up every now and then so just keep your eyes open.
  10. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

A very good bass with a nice warm tone. Neck dive is no problem. Has the Gibson sound in a good way. Everything my EB-0 wishes it was.
  11. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I'm curious. Anyone got a pic?
  12. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

13. Gunner77

Gunner77

I have to have the blue if I have one. There was a root beer/gold hardware one on Guitar Center used a couple of days ago but it's gone now.

Gunner
  14. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I've had a $money bass for some time, it's a nice bass to play, it really has no neck dive, the pick-ups are very hot, and it will overwhelm a lot of preamp sections of amps, I usually set the volume at about 60/70% and the neck pick-up a little lower than the bridge pick-up, which will give you a nice thick punchy tone, those pick-ups are NOT muddy .... the bridge is kinda funny to set up, but once set up, you are good, I have TI's flatwounds on it and it works for me .... the bass is pretty lite, and is a pleasure to play, the basses were made in 2 colors ( Manhattan Blue & Natural ), in a quanity of 200 each when they did the guitar of the week program .... there is one other color, Root Beer Brown/sunburst with gold hardware, and that bass is hard to find and it was NOT part of the guitar of the week building program and it was called the double cut away Les Paul bass, and it was produced before the guitar of the week basses

[​IMG]
    Gibson Les Paul Money Bass by jastacey128, on Flickr
  15. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

The LP double cut came in black cherry too. The rootbeer and black cherry don't have the middle layer of walnut that the money basses do.
    [​IMG]
  16. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Learned something new ....good to know
  17. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

I have one in the natural finish, I love it! I had a set of Roto flats on it for a week or so, but the neck is a bit finicky so I put the originals strings back on. The tension on the Rotos seemed to be a bit much:) As others have said, this is a great istrument, great neck! I think its 1 and 5/8 or so at the nut, Once you get the intonation set right, its fun to play way up on the board. I have about 6 basses and this is the only one that I will probably never consider selling!

Attached Files:

18. swamp2

swamp2

I had a blue one and thought it was a very nice instrument. My only gripe with it - when playing sitting down it seemed like it was a very long stretch to the lower frets due to the smallish body and position of the lower body cut. As a result I found I wasn't playing it much and sold it. Made a couple hundred on the transaction which was nice - but in retrospect kinda wish I'd kept it...
  19. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I don't really like the body, but they sound great.

I gigged one for a year or so. Pretty versatile.
  21. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang