Gibson EB3: 2 Mudbuckers? Good idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groover, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Groover

Groover

Hello, I've been searching and trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to put a Mudbucker in the bridge position of a Vintage EB3 (in place of the single coil bridge pickup), ending up with two fat mudbuckers.

Pros and cons? What do you guys think? Would it be an improvement, or kill the tone? The original bridge pickup has zero thump, but does get snarly so maybe that balances things out?

Don't know.. also, would this be a wiring disaster, or doable?

Thanks!
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

It definitely wouldn't be a wiring disaster - you just swap one pickup with the other and solder it where the old one used to be. But I have no idea how an insanely hot-wound pickup like the EB-3 mudbucker would sound in the bridge position.

Can you somehow mount the pickup above the strings and temporarily wire it instead of the bridge pickup? That would be your best option, that way you can spare yourself the embarrassment of routing the body only to find the pickup doesn't do well in the position.
  3. Groover

Groover

Thanks for the reply. I guess that would be step 1... buy a second neck pickup... lol.

Not sure if I would have the space to fit it under the strings by just looking at it though... I may have to go all the way with it if I move forward with this idea.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Not under; above. As was suggested to me recently by several of my TB brethren. Two blocks of wood is all it takes.

You do realize that this will destroy the "vintage collectible" value of your instrument, right?
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

tried it with an EB-0;

sucked.
  6. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Yeah, I tried it once - not enough tonal variation for my likings. Much prefer the mini humbucker at the bridge to be honest
  7. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I suppose you could look up soundclips of Guild JS-II's since they pretty much were Guild's version of an EB3, except with two full sized humbuckers, to see if you like the sound. Personally, I wouldn't do it.