gibson ebo bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phender6, Dec 7, 2012.

1. phender6

phender6

so i got this 1970 gibson ebo as is from elderly instruments in lansing a couple years ago. is the bridge supposed to have this slant in it or is it supposed to be parallel with the body. i know its missing the mute. the g string seems to barely be touching the saddle. can anyone help with this ?

Attached Files:

2. Labi

Labi

In a normal situation, this position of the bridge would bring the action way too high. Seems like someone has tried to compensate the height by doing so. The tension of the strings will very soon damage either the screws that are holding the bridge, or the screw holes on the body, or both. This bridge has to be removed immediately and put back properly, meaning that it has to sit flat on the body. Then you will have to adjust the trus rod since obviously the action will be too low after doing this.
  3. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

This does happen to these bridges to some extent - you can live with a little tilting, but not too much. If the hex screws that are holding the bridge to the post are worn (ie don't tighten properly) you should replace them. Also making sure the ends (that touch the posts) are flat will help (you can file them a little)

If all else fails, I have seen people put cork, coins, etc etc under the near edge to reduce the tilt.

And final option is to get a hipshot (or the old schaller) replacement
  4. aquateen

aquateen

+1 to the hex screw adjustment
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

The nickname for that bridge is "the evertilt". It is supposed to be parallel with the body, but because of some designflaw they tend to flip forward.
  7. aquateen

aquateen

they tilt because people don't loosen the set screws before adjusting the height and the set screws stop functioning as they were designed to. I've got two basses with those bridges and they do not tilt. it should be easy to remedy by either replacing the set screws or following Fly's recommendation.
  8. phender6

phender6

Thanks for the input. Ill update when i get around to it or if i have any further questions
  9. phender6

phender6

I just said to hell with that bridge and bought a hipshot for it and I'm glad that I did.
  10. aquateen

aquateen

did you get the one that is designed to replace the 2 point bridge? the 3 point version has different spacing between the threaded inserts.