Gibson/Epiphone/Mudbucker question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassgod76, Nov 16, 2012.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I may need to purchase a Mudbucker for a build.

I think Gotoh makes one, and so does Allparts.

Are there any other companies I should look at?

I guess I need to know what is considered the best mudbucker (the old one with a chrome top)?

Opinions welcome!:help:
  2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

3. stevesbasses

stevesbasses

I used Dimarzio DP120 Model 1's in my last build. I like them, you still get that good strong bass but with better clarity than the old Gibson pick ups.
  4. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

Seconded.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod76

What about the dp145? They don't have chrome tops?
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  8. bassgod76

Can you swap the top?
  9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think the pickup might be attached to the top. The whole thing is epoxied together.
  10. Jim Baritone

Jim Baritone

Like Johnnie Crab, I ordered one of the ARTEC mudbucker clones of the original Gibson EB0 mudbucker. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Artec-Custo...947?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25768acd3b

In my case, I bought it because I was (and am) doing a complete rebuilt of a previously modified '62 EB0, and I really had no wish to subject the original Gibby pickup's 50 year-old wiring to repeated installations and removals, soldering and unsolderings, etc.

I figured one of the ARTEC's would be sufficient for experiment and development purposes - I'm mating it with a Fender JB neck pickup in the bridge position [no, I didn't put it there, and it's a long story which you can read elsewhere on the forum. The process is a bit like mating a beaver with a skunk - one chews the heck out of everything in sight, and the other is very pretty, but needs to be approached with a certain amount of caution].

I really only wanted to say that so far, I've bee pleasantly surprised by the Artec mudbucker. I was prepared, at $30 or so, to be underwhelmed, but it's actually not bad at all - pretty decent, in fact, and the price (and service from the supplier) amazing.

I won't go so far as to say I'd put an Artec in over a DiMarzio or similar high-end pickup, but I've paid more for well known name-brand pickups that sounded worse than this one.

Some folks have dissed the Artec mudbucker and reported bad experiences; I can only say that this one performs quite well. When all the overhauling is done, and I put the original Gibson back in, I'm sure I'll notice a difference. But I'll hang on to the Artec for a "project" bass sometime in the future.

Good luck with it.
  11. bassgod76

Have any of you tried the Will Power mudbucker from DiMarzio?

Have you ever tried pairing this pickup with a set of P pickups?
  12. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I might be wrong, but isn't this pickup configuration the one in Billy Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude?
  13. bassgod76

I wonder how it would sound if the mudbucker was in bridge position?
  14. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Oh you meant the bucker in the bridge position... never played a bass with the mudbucker in the bridge position, but I think it might sound pretty good there, let we know if you find out!! :bassist: