1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gibson G3

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by adamlunt, Dec 15, 2013.

1. adamlunt

adamlunt

Hey Justin, I've seen you using the Gibson Ripper/Grabber basses before.

Have you had any experience with the oldschool G3?

I'm considering trading my MIA P bass for it which I don't use that often.
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Yes, I own one, and am playing a couple of them live right now with Paramore as well. I got into them as a Jazz bass replacement idea for the Paramore record, just looking for a gutsier version of that sound. The only problem I find with them is that sometimes they have an anemic G-string...strange balance issues. I prefer the later ones. Also, look out for neck pocket aligment issues when you purchase; sometimes the strings are surprisingly out of wack as you look down the neck. Otherwise, highly useable and flexible. Good with flats too.
  3. activebass

activebass

Hi Justin,

Congratulations on so many things. The Paramore album, getting to perform with them and of course the upcoming addition to your family.

I was previously not in to Paramore but the latest album impressed me so much, I just bought a 76 Gibson Grabber G3. :)

If I may ask, how could I get a sound close to Jeremy's tone on the album with 'ordinary' pedals? (Meaning not expensive, complicated rigs)

I am assuming a SansAmp Bass DI and some sort of compressor would be involved?