1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gibson G3

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by adamlunt, Dec 15, 2013.

1. adamlunt

adamlunt

Oct 18, 2012
    Stafford, UK
    Hey Justin, I've seen you using the Gibson Ripper/Grabber basses before.

Have you had any experience with the oldschool G3?

I'm considering trading my MIA P bass for it which I don't use that often.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, I own one, and am playing a couple of them live right now with Paramore as well. I got into them as a Jazz bass replacement idea for the Paramore record, just looking for a gutsier version of that sound. The only problem I find with them is that sometimes they have an anemic G-string...strange balance issues. I prefer the later ones. Also, look out for neck pocket aligment issues when you purchase; sometimes the strings are surprisingly out of wack as you look down the neck. Otherwise, highly useable and flexible. Good with flats too.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. activebass

activebass

Sep 19, 2013
    Singapore
    Hi Justin,

Congratulations on so many things. The Paramore album, getting to perform with them and of course the upcoming addition to your family.

I was previously not in to Paramore but the latest album impressed me so much, I just bought a 76 Gibson Grabber G3. :)

If I may ask, how could I get a sound close to Jeremy's tone on the album with 'ordinary' pedals? (Meaning not expensive, complicated rigs)

I am assuming a SansAmp Bass DI and some sort of compressor would be involved?