Gibson Grabber 3 vs Gibson EB Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by activebass, Dec 10, 2013.

1. activebass

activebass

Hi,

I have the chance to buy either the 2013 versions of the Gibson Grabber G3 70s tribute bass or the the Gibson EB Bass at slightly reduced prices and am wondering if any of you have experience playing both and which you would recommend?

My overall impression is that the Grabber is punchier and ballsier and gives you a bit of that T-Bird tone, but that the EB is more versatile.

Which one would you get? I would appreciate your feedback!

This?
    2013 EB
    [​IMG]

This?
    [​IMG]

Or this?
    [​IMG]

2. vdub75

vdub75

geht the G-3! nothing cooler out there!

3. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    EB all day long.. I've had both, gigged both, recorded with both.. Actually I love them both, but the EB is really versatile real world bass.

4. activebass

activebass

Thanks for the input. I'm actually getting them for recording purposes. I recently did a recording session with my Jazz Bass and the artist I was recording for had been loaned a Thunder Bird for the recording sessions. For some of the songs, the tone from the T-Bird could not be matched by the J Bass. It was punchy and deep. My only gripe was that the tone could have been transparent.

Jeremy Davis of Paramore used an 80s Gibson Grabber to record their latest album and his tone is exactly what I want to achieve.

I was pretty settled on going for the grabber when I stumbled upon the EB bass.

To clarify, I'm talking about the 2013 versions of both basses.

The EB seems more versatile, but the Grabber seems a bit punchier and ballsier.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Apples and oranges to me. The G3 is a super ballsy flat out rock machine, where EB's are more of an undefined muddy mess.

YMMV

7. vdub75

vdub75

we're talking about EB-Bass, not EB-0/EB-3

8. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

The G3 Tribute is different than the original G3. The pickups and pickup placement are not the same. If you like the sound of an 80's G3, I would suggest buying a used one. A G3 with the Bill Lawrence pickups is a superior bass to the tribute. Also, the original G3 (and Grabber) has strings thru the body which also has an impact on the tone.

9. msact

10. activebass

activebass

Oh my god! What a sound! And through a guitar amp. Wonderful. This is what I want. Have you tried the tribute? How bad can it be?

11. msact

I have never tried a tribute, but I know the pickups are completely different. Also, they are placed much closer to the neck. Just do an image search and look at the two side by side and you will see what I am talking about. That alone would make it sound different. If it were me and I wanted to original G3 sound I would hold out for the real thing. Search here, ebay, etc. and one is bound to turn up.

12. activebass

activebass

That is absolutely true. It also makes slapping very difficult with the pups so close to the neck, not that you would do that often with this bass, but you might.

This is the sounds I'm hoping to achieve:

http://youtu.be/xDz5yJstyaU

Thank you for your input, man!

13. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

OP- I was exactly in your shoes about a month ago. I wound up with the EB mainly because it was a year end close out sale and got it for 300 bucks less than the grabber. I must say I am blown away with this bass. When you hear people say "massive lows" they mean it! As far as the G3 goes, I've heard great things. As a huge fan of Thrice, Russian Circles, Nirvana etc. I know the Grabber appeal. That being said all of these bands have the vintage models. If you want a grabber for the tone I think you got to get an old 70/80s model. As far as the EB goes it has a tone all its own and is no stranger to aggressive growl either. So that being said if I couldn't get my hands on a vintage grabber I would go with an EB. You won't be dissapointed either way.

14. msact

I had the original sliding pickup Grabber in the mid 70's when I first started. It was loud, punchy and had tons of sustain. I recall liking it a lot better than the P bass my high school had. I stupidly sold it in the early 80's but I am in the process of buying a 1975 G3. I am just waiting for delivery. I am a big fan of the old gibsons. The new ones are different animals. Hardware, pickups, etc are all different.

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I have a fair amount of experience with vintage G3's, Grabbers and Rippers, and I have played the Tribute G3 and EB, so I'll give my opinions too.

The Tribute G3 is a pretty cool bass, but it doesn't really sound much like a vintage G3 at all, to me. Personally, I wouldn't get the Tribute. If you love the tone of a G3 (and I do!), hold out for a vintage one.

The Grabber is a whole other beast. I've done a few records on a 76 Grabber. Thick and solid, but don't really cut through like a G3, not that that's always a bad thing.

I tried a couple tribute EBs and liked them quite a bit, but never gigged or recorded one.

A vintage G3 is one of the most underrated basses of all time. If you want a grind machine, that's the ticket :)

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

If you want Grabber the G3 won't do it. I had both, the G3 was much thinner and punchier sounding but didn't have the depth of the Grabber. They both have very pronounced midrange, but the G3 is more nasal and focused in the upper mids while the Grabber is more low-mid thump.

17. activebass

activebass

Hi everybody,

thank you for your input. I might get the tribute 2013 Grabber G3 first while searching for an 80s grabber which is still in great shape. If you come across one, please let me know.

Thank you!

18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

19. msact

20. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jeremy davis used the G3 to record and play live for the new album and tour. (saw them live, great show) But yeah you are right, but he wants the g3 grabber, not looking for the g1 grabber

21. activebass

activebass