1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gibson Grabber- Serial Number plus Odd Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thejockobird, Feb 8, 2014.

1. thejockobird

thejockobird www.vulturgeist.com Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    www.vulturegeist.com
    Hello there folks!
    I've been a lurker around here for a while now and finally decided to join in all the fun.
    Recently, I've been in the market for a 70's Gibson Grabber and have been having a rough time finding one.
    I recently happened upon this listing
    (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/msg/4323950710.html)
    and it has me asking some questions I was hoping one of you aficionados could get me some answers.
    First of all, the pickguard is like no other grabber pg I've ever seen. Can't find another one like it anywhere on the net.
    Second, the body is a very different color from the neck which isn't something I've commonly seen with the Grabbers.
    It makes me think that the neck was replaced at some point which wouldn't jive with his claim that it's all original.
    (Could also be the fact that he says that is was restored.)
    Lastly, the serial number listed is like no other grabber SN I've ever seen.
    All in all I'm rather skeptical but want to give it a chance since the price isn't bad.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

There is no way that's an original pickguard. Grabbers, G3's and Rippers all have the same basic shape and that's nothing like it.

I don't know about the serial number. It should be on the back of the headstock, but I can't make it out. The one he lists does seem odd.

Honestly if it were me, I would go for this one. The Burgundy is more desirable and it looks to be in pretty decent condition. The only thing I can tell about this one is that the bridge cover has been moved forward a bit. I would stay away from that other one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Cherry-Finish-Vintage-Gibson-Grabber-Bass-Guitar-w-Original-Gibson-Case-/121272049321?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3c609ea9

3. thejockobird

Disclosures:
    www.vulturegeist.com
    The Cherry Red is really nice looking. Maybe a bit too close to black for me though since I already play a black Fender J with a tortoise shell pickguard.
    On a different note, there's a good condition walnut Grabber about 5 hours away from me for $895. From what I've gathered the walnut Grabbers are the rarest of them all and would be a nice piece of equipment to own.
    Think all that gas in my pickup is worth it for a walnut Grabber?
    http://monterey.craigslist.org/msg/4291126348.html

4. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I'm partial to the burgundy. It was my first bass back in the 70's.

The one you are looking at has been modded. You would have to decide if that matters or not. I like to buy basses that are in original condition, but that's a personal preference

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aquateen

aquateen

the one in San Diego probably has an adler body and a maple neck. that's why the neck is lighter than the body. the one in Monterey also looks like it was refinished. I don't think that color was ever offered.

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/grabber.php

7. anyfour

anyfour

It looks like the neck was refinished, which will make it lighter in color, without that yellowing that nitro does. You can see the holes in the body for the original pickguard. Originals are not impossible to find, but not easy. But, in my opinion, he is asking way too much for a non original bass.

8. anyfour

anyfour

oooops. forgot to address the serial number. That is a normal serial number for the '74 - '75 period. in 76 they used stickers, and 77 started the common numbering system we all know (which has been changed yet again for 2014, but thats another story)

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I see four or five on eBay right now for sale?

10. redstrand

redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Pickguard isn't original, doesn't match the one I have and mine is all original

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Agreed non original pg on the natural Grabber. Early Grabbers and Rippers had translucent tort guards, they are very rare. I'd go for the burgundy Grabber decent price, good condition and the burgundy is like Genes early Grabber :D

12. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i just put my grabber up on ebay. i won't post a link here but it'll come up in an ebay search. i hate to sell it but i don't play it too often and i really need the money. really cool basses though!

13. thejockobird

Disclosures:
    www.vulturegeist.com
    I'm looking at your grabber right now and I am very interested. I'll be keeping an eye on it and making some bids once there's less time left. :)

14. thejockobird

Disclosures:
    www.vulturegeist.com
    Not to resurrect an old thread, but I just purchased a '75 Grabber at a local store for about $800. Thanks for the help guys. The insight and advice to wait led me to this new beauty of mine.