1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gibson Grabber?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WowSuchPunx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

Hey everybody,
    I'm a moderately experienced player (been playing since 2011) And I'm looking into a new bass, more specifically the Gibson Grabber. I've seen them go from the range of $500-$1200. Would they be worth that? And if so, about how much should I get one for? Any advice would be great.
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I used to have one back in the early 80's. It's got a novel "sliding pickup" which I always thought was odd more than helpful but if set up properly they can be nice players. Mine was never what I wanted, sold it and bought a Ric 4001.
  3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Love mine, make sure the neck is straight and you're good to go
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Grabbers are great rock basses! Thick, meaty, growly tone. When they first came out I found them gimmicky, history has proved other wise. I have a Grabber and a G3, never got on with the Ripper (weak pickups).
  5. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

How about a RIPPER instead? I`ve seen several of them popping up online lately--all in the $1000 price range(nicer condition too!).
    My avatar show`s me with a 1970s RIPPER we found at work.(Buggers wouldn`t sell it though!).

Just a thought anyways.
    Hos
  6. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

Maybe, I've heard that the Rippers have weak pickups though. I will still look into them. Do you know which would give a better 90's punk tone? (Specifically Green Day during the dookie/insomniac era)
  7. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    My Grabber has labellas on it, with a pick it just gets all kinds of snarl going on. Plenty punk if you ask me
  8. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

a p-bass was used on dookie and a g-3 was used on kerplunk and insomniac and also live during the dookie era. i just sold a grabber on ebay for $1200. with the pickup slid to the neck position and the gain turned up a little on the amp it's got a pretty nice p-bass type tone
  9. WowSuchPunx

WowSuchPunx

About how much should I look to buy one for?
  10. Weareonfire

Weareonfire Supporting Member

A good condition grabber is usually in the $800+ range.
  11. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Ive got both. The Grabber sounds luke a good P bass. I would pay 800ish.
  12. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Mike Dirnt played a P bass for a lot of that but he also used a Gibson Grabber G-3. These are very different from the regular grabbers.
  13. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

14. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

What immediately cracks me up is the name "Ripper", from a really farty sounding bass.
  15. msact

msact Supporting Member

Burgundy Grabbers run a bit more price wise. I have a burgundy Grabber and a black G3. The Grabber is sort of like a P type of sound where the G3 has more of the single coil snarl. They compliment each other like a P and a J do.
  16. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

The original Grabbers and G3's are pretty great for what you're looking for. I'm interested in a G3 at some point, but it's a little lower on the list than some other basses.

It is worth noting that they also did a "70's Tribute" G3 recently, and it is nothing like the original G3. The pickups are a lot different and spaced differently. The original had three pickups with a bridge, mid, one between them where the Tribute has a bridge, mid, and neck pickup giving it a very different sound. Chances are if that's the road you want to go down, you want a vintage one.
  17. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Had a burgundy Grabber stolen from me in Wilmington, VA while on tour with my old punk band. I got it for $500 but this was about 12 years ago. Still miss that bass. :(
  18. msact

msact Supporting Member

Here are mine. Two really cool basses.

[​IMG]
  19. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Disclosures:
    Bassist, writer, teacher: Matthew Harris
    Test
  20. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Disclosures: