1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

gibson les paul bass 1994 pickup replacment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fingerflicking, Jul 10, 2011.

1. fingerflicking

fingerflicking

just been givin a les paul bass.
    The picks ups on this bass are shot to bits. (Just sounds terrible) Are there any replacement that can be slotted in without altering the body?
  2. markanini

markanini

Search the forum for 'guitar sized humbuckers'. Or use a conversion ring and you could use pickups for Musicmaster or original P-Bass if you prefer a single coil. Even som Strat pickups can work well if the strings fall within the outer poles.
    [​IMG]
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I make guitar humbucker sized bass pickups. They are real bass pickups, and not over wound guitar pickups, which is what some of them on the market are.

I've sold a few sets of these to people with the LP basses. I can make them in black, white, or cream plastic covers, or chrome metal covers.

Here's a full size and mini hum in the chrome covers. The mini hum is the same as the bridge pickup on an EB-3.

[​IMG]

I make these in both my neodymium humbuckers and in the sidewinders, which are hum canceling single coils with real single coil tone.

You can hear sound clips here:

SGD Pickups
  4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Those look pretty sweet. I can personally vouch for Lindy Fralin's Bassbuckers which I put in my 98 LP. They sound incredible.
  5. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Lindy makes great pickups. I'll will point out that they are $110 more expensive, and only come in one flavor, which is a T-Bird type humbucker. They also seem to be out of stock.

I make four different pickups in that size case.
  6. Asbrinkman

Asbrinkman

I am new to TB, but have been searching the forum for advise for years... I have a LP bass needing new pickups, are the SGD still available?
  7. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Yes, they are.
  8. Asbrinkman

Asbrinkman

Thanks for the reply. I made the mistake of dropping EMG's in it and the bass sounds fine, but lacking IMO. Obviously lacking a nice vintage vibe. I really want this bass to be a nice functional addition to my J and PJ basses.
  9. aquateen

aquateen

does it have the original pickups and preamp? I bought a '94 for my son and the preamp was shot. we wired it passive and it sounds great.

[​IMG]
  10. Asbrinkman

Asbrinkman

I do but my bass is the traditional LP guitar version with guitar size humbuckers and the traditional LP guitar wiring and switching.