1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

gibson limited run explorer at guitar center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HypersoulRocks, Aug 16, 2012.

1. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

For 899$ the bass plays and sounds great... I've played it with a strap standing up and there is no noticeable neckdive. the only thing I don't like about it is that it has a matte sunburst finish as opposed to glossy.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with this bass, because I'm probably gonna have to buy it this weekend....

2. stiles72

stiles72

I saw the faded V bass in Cherry and really liked it. What pups were in the Explorer, TB+ like the Silverburst Explorer? Basicaly it probably sounds and functions a lot like the Thunderbird Studio basses (set neck), so I'm sure it's a great bass.

Pic?

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Not a bass, but I noticed Gibson finally released a Moderne guitar.

4. stiles72

stiles72

My GC just got another one in. This is a great bass. The tone is thick, and the body is surprisingly light and balances very well. Even though it has a 1.5" nut, it is a thicker neck than a T-bird. The flat black finish on the sides, back, and neck remind me of the Nikki Sixx Blackbird, and the pickups are equally hot.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HypersoulRocks

I hate buying floor models so I had my guy at guitar center order me 1... should take a week or so...

7. cliff em all

cliff em all

i played that at my guitar center it sounded damn powerful

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

question......I picked one up at my local GC last week and, while it wasn't BAD (per se), it did seem heavy as hell. anyone know the actual weight of these bad boys? I actually sort of liked the explorer, but it really seemed to be built for world war III......

9. HypersoulRocks

I disagree...for its size, it seemed very light. My Carvin SB and Warwick Corvette are much heavier. I'd say this was in the 8lb range.

10. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Damn You:bassist:

I picked one up....Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

[​IMG]

11. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

hmmmm....interesting. It definitely felt heavier than my fenders and Rics, but I could be (and probably am) wrong. The only REAL concern that I had was that headstock....:D

looked like a BREAK waiting to happen.....:bawl:

12. Herrick

Herrick

Love the Explorer shape. Would like to play one of these One Day.

13. Rocker949

Rocker949

If I wasn't financing my dentist's extravagant lifestyle, I'd love to buy one of these.

14. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

By comparison my newly aquired Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 70s weighs in at 9 pounds, one ounce.

15. THE SAW

THE SAW

Oh man,
    Do all of those have the 3 point bridge? (let me clarify-are these SG type bridges, can't tell from the picture-I hope not) The 80's actually had some of the nicest bridges Gibson ever made for a bass.

The recent Silverburst model was nicer than this (more $) and had a decent bridge, if I recall. I own a 1999 Epiphone Korina model, which I would LOVE to compare this too. Strung up with Steve Harris Roto's it plays like a dream.

GIBSON,what have thy done???!!!

16. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Actually, I had the Silverburst and it too has a three point bridge.

However, I have had no issues with this bridge and I have several Gibson's that have it.

This explorer is a killer deal, at $899.

The only difference, and I mean the only difference is a "flat" finish vs. a gloss.

Otherwise the current explorers are exactly alike even as far as the "high end" Gibson case.

This is a sweet deal.

17. HypersoulRocks

I wasn't digging the silverburst...I looked at that color on a lot of guitars, and it just seemed to not be my style.
    The bridge seemed like it had some balls, but if I was to start modding the bass, there is a new Hipshot bridge that claims to be a drop-in.

The guys at GC said gibson was testing the waters with this finish and will likely raise the price if it moves into full production.

18. THE SAW

THE SAW

Hype:
    Which GC location had these? You've peaked my interest.

19. HypersoulRocks

I ordered mine from my guy at Clear Lake, but they had floor models that were a little beat up at Clear Lake, at Pasadena, and at the Westheimer store in Houston. I was told each store was alotted one, and would have to request any more.

20. fordkisskrazy

fordkisskrazy

Ok what the heck!!! I called 4 different GC's with in 100 miles from me about these and nobody, NOBODY knew what I was talking about!:rollno: I have been gasing for an Explorer for a long time. So close, yet soooo far away.:crying:
    One of the stores do have a NOS Epi though, might have to check it out.

21. HypersoulRocks

when I get it, if I decide I'm not crazy about it I'll offer it for sale on talk bass before I decide on returning it...