1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gibson-made Epiphone B4 and B5 basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Steve Swan, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Today I had a chance to examine and play the first Gibson-made B4 Epiphone that I have seen. Compared to the wonderful Brooklyn-made Epiphone basses that I have experienced in the past, this bass was a disappointment. The serial number was in the high 500 range, so my guess on a manufacture date would be 1960, plus or minus.

The top was not very responsive. It had kind of clunky heaviness that I haven't experienced in playing an Epiphone before. The finish coloring and clarity had the same kind of 2 dimensional flatness that the guitars had that era. The fingerboard seemed pretty thin. Do the Gibson-made Epiphones always come that way?

All that said, I would still choose this bass over most Kay basses that I have ever played. The larger, more conventional neck profile and the 42" string length both help to make a larger sound than Kay basses.

Have others had a similar experience with one of these late period Epiphone basses?