1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gibson Midtown HollowBody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablop, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pablop

pablop Supporting Member

2. altamont

altamont

definitely curious to read a review on these. Anyone?

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

4. grvthang

grvthang

I haven't seen or played the bass, but I played a Midtown 6-string guitar. It felt kind of strange, being a flattop semi-hollow, rather than an archtop.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I had one on order near the day they were announced, but had to cancel it to partially pay for a Fodera. It would have been one of the first ones in Canada and would have landed this week.

Point being.... They should JUST be landing now.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I played one the other day :) beautiful bass very well made and they sound great. I like the flat top. I happen to know where a Pelham Blue one is available, If you are interested PM me.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I really like the guitar version. One of the guitarists in one of my bands has a black midtown custom, great instrument. Very classic looking but it plays easily and has some really hot pickups. I have zero need for this bass but have wanted something semi-hollow for a long time. Just can't justify dropping the coin knowing I wouldn't have a need for it.

9. Calexia13

Calexia13 Supporting Member

God of Thunder,

I was wondering what you actually thought of the bass in terms of neck width and tones available from the pickups. Any input would be appreciated. How was the sustain on it?

Regards,

Ed

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The bass is built using a chambered Mahogany body with a Maple top so it isn't as light as you might think. I didn't play it standing up but sitting down it balanced nicely. The bass has a wonderful unplugged sound lots of sustain. This pickup combination works great on this bass, My favorite combo is running both pickups. The bound neck feels very nice, very much like a 60's EBO in width thickness and tapper only it's a 34" scale.

11. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Can't wait to try one out!

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I got the green light from the wife to get one of these! I'm so stoked! I think I'm going with cherry....

We have instigated the one in/one out policy though. Gotta find a good home for my ASAT.

Looking forward to that NBD post.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Too rich for my blood, gonna have to make do with my '68 EB-2.

14. pablop

pablop Supporting Member

thanks for the input, I am putting the hollowbody purchase on hold now. I would like to play before I buy.
    Plus I just spent some money on a great 80s yamaha that came up and I couldn't pass on...

15. swamp2

swamp2

I played one briefly today - probably the same one godofthunder played... I really liked it - had very good unplugged tone, balance seemed good and was very nice looking in the pelham blue. Nicely finished.

Have to admit i think it would look a little better with an arched top rather than flat, but still a very appealing instrument.

I didn't ask about pricing or want to plug it in as I was nervous about getting too interested in it...

16. loendmaestro

My local GC is certainly making this purchase very difficult....at least initially.

17. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

never tried one of thes ebut have played several Lakland HBs and loved them....only thing stopping me from buying one is a missing string (I play 5ers)....and Lakland has no plans for a 5er HB...

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Flat top seems like a shame to me. Seems like they try not to come out and say it, too.

19. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

As of this morning, AMS had sunburst in stock and listed cherry and black as due in in a few weeks, but had no mention of Pelham Blue at all.

I've pre-ordered one in cherry. Last time I took a chance on an unknown Gibson was when I got my Money bass, and I have not regretted that for a minute.

20. loendmaestro

Have you had good experience with AMS in the past? I've read some mixed reviews. And I've really got to trade/sell something, so locally may be my only option.

21. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

My experience so far with AMS has been a bit annoying: I ordered the bass on-line, then then the next day they called me to get my social security number to run a credit check, because I opted for the eight payments that they offered. They also wanted another phone number for me. Then they called me back again because they said they called my bank and the phone number I gave them didn't match, and that I should call my bank and change it then call them back. Hey, I gave them my cell phone and work phone numbers because they were the best ways to reach me and I'm having the bass shipped to my office.

They say they're trying to avoid fraud, but, it seems like they're not being smart about it. I've ordered many, many musical instruments from Musician's Friend or Sweetwater or wherever and nobody else ever made me jump through those kind of hoops.

Of course, it seems that they may be the only game in town for the Midtown bass, but I'm not inclined to go back to them for other purchases.