Gibson Money Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrls_vns, Dec 27, 2012.

1. chrls_vns

chrls_vns Supporting Member

Anyone know where I can find a Gibson Money ($) bass?
  2. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

3. chrls_vns

4. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

That's great! Glad I could help. I was looking around for other Gibson basses when I came across this one. I have the same bass, so it caught my eye. I'm sure your going to love it. I like mine so much I'd like to pick up another Les Paul style bass from this era, particularly an LPB3 with the Warwick bridge, another double cut in a different finish or an LPB1.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. charliefreak

charliefreak

I may be out of my element here, but why is called a money bass?
  7. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity OP,.. What finish does the $ bass you bought on C list have? (the posting has been removed)
    I have on in the natural finish and absolutely love the instrument. Im sure your gonna love it too! :)
  8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

It's called midnight manhattan. I call it blue. The money name is just some kind of marketing b.s. The bass first was called the Les Paul double cut bass and came in rootber and black cherry finishes. Flame maple caps on mahogany bod with set mahogany neck. The money basses have an added layer of walnut in the body core. They're wired passive v/v/t and sport some hot warm and growly tb+ humbuckers. 24 frets are also nice and the figuring on my rosewood fretboard looks great.
  9. tinman 1967

Heres mine . They are great basses, your right, those pickups are very hot indeed. The "blue" ones are beautiful also.

The only thing is, the neck on this one needs more attention than any of my other basses. Seems to need adjusting during the season changes. Not a big deal. Does not like high tension strings at all! I had a set of roto 77 flats on it for a while, took em off and I think I heard the neck go "Ahh!" :smug:

Shes a keeper though, very beefy sounding indeed!

Attached Files:

10. chrls_vns

Here's a pic of the one I just bought from the Craigslist ad.. I haven't gotten it yet, but according to my fedex tracking number, it should be here Jan 3rd. This will be my second Gibson bass. I also have a thunderbird that I absolutely love!!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1356810218.873887.jpg
  11. chrls_vns

That natural finish looks amazing!!
  12. chrls_vns

I'd like to check out one of the new Goldtops.. I hear the singlecuts sound different.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1356812140.808056.jpg
  13. tinman 1967

If you like your T bird........ Your gonna love this one!
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

There were some GREAT closeout deals on the blue ones new because they were blue, and blue's a hard sell.
  15. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I got mine used for around $650. I liked the slinky round core SS Warwick black labels it came with better than the Dad pro steels I've since tried. Previous owner modded a vol pot to a mn 500k blend and I gotta say it works great. Now my other vol pot is a master vol. neck is super stable for me but I can imagine the havoc heavy tension roto flats could cause.
    The bridge pickup can be a little burpy, but with a little gain it gives me everything I love about my EB3's mini bucker.